I subscribe to digest versions on lists which generate a fairly large number of messages. It just cuts down on the total volume of messages coming ot my inbox. A lot of the individual messages are not of interest to me, and when the digest is 'threaded,' it makes it a lot faster to skip to the topics I am interested in. As it is, messages on a variety of topics get interspersed with each other making it very tedious to wade through. I don't think it's all controlled by the mail client; some of it must be controlled by the mail list. I suspect part of the problem is the way messages get posted. I've seen on other lists that if people reply to a message, but change the substance, the messages get threaded "wrong." I know the OOO list is much more readable (for me). That could change as it migrates to an Apache list.