On 12 Sep 2011 at 10:52, Ferry Toth wrote:

Since years we use digital signatures to sign our documents and protect
them from inadvertent modifications.

The CA certificate is one generated internally.

Now on linux (ubuntu natty) the certificates are stored by firefox and
since a recent upgrade to firefox 6.0.2  LO complains that the
certificate cannot be validated. This happen even right after adding the
signature.

Apparently the root certificate cannot be found by LO.

However, in firefox both personal and CA certificate validate fine.

Switching to windows LO does validate the certificate fine (but there
the certificates are stored elsewhere).

It look like something changed in FF that broke the digital signing in
LO. Or is it a configuration issue on my side?

This one is easy to answer. Due to an issue with fraudulent
certificates from the Dutch company Diginotar, Firefox has removed the
Diginotar root certificate from its certificate store. Other browsers
have acted similarly, ie there was a Windows update to achieve the same
on IE. Since you are based in the Netherlands I guess your documents
are validated against Diginotar certificates. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigiNotar

For many of us not in your country we have never encountered a
Diginotar certificate and it was not even in my certificate store in
Opera.

Not sure what the answer is, but this seems to be a case of unexpected
consequences of a fairy radical update to Firefox. Your internal
certificates are clearly properly issued, and to block them because of
a few fraudulent ones you are only going to encounter on dodgey sites
seems a bit OTT.

Dave

http://www.davesergeant.com