An odf-purists lists might be interesting though I am not sure how one discerns what it means to be
odf-pure, as opposed to OpenOffice-pure.  Maybe it is about OpenOffice purism, where use of the
native ODF Open ... and Save As ... is handled.  No opening by clicking on .doc/.docx files, etc.

I'd say the developers are certainly concerned with making that part work as well as possible.

Not sure how you'd describe the list so fellow purists would know they were fellow purists.  I
shall watch with interest.

  - Dennis

BAFFLEMENT

I am baffled by this statement though:
  "Such a program would be rather useless without a free file format."

Is not ODF a free format?

Or is the assumption that Tim Deaton wants "everything MS Office 97 did" to include open and save
as .doc, .xls, and .ppt?

I guess that doesn't matter for the odf-purists list.  The non-purists get to deal with it.

I would think that availability of free-to-the-public specifications for [MS-DOC], [MS-XLS],
[MS-PPT], [RTF] and some of the common features like [MS-OFFCRYPTO] would be handy for the
non-purists. That those and more are covered by the Open Specification Promise will be sufficient
reassurance for some of us, I think.