     Thank you very much for replying.
     I am using Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.  I am using LibreOffice 3.4.2 OOO340m1 (Build:203)
     Xara Xtreme doesn't support that format.  I downloaded it this morning and tested it.  The
Xara Pro Designer 7 doesn't support the format either.  However Xara will open Acorn .DRW files.
     I have been checking the difference between Inkscape and Plain SVG files.  I can't find a
difference now.  They both open if Inkscape and LO doesn't open them properly.  There appears to be
no difference between them.  Maybe I am forgetting something that happened.  However I am not sure
if Inkscape is saving in Plain SVG anyway.  It has a dialogue box that says you are saving a file
in an inferior version of SVG would you like to save as inkscape SVG or Cancel or Continue Without
Saving.  The file named Plain SVG that I had saved was still there after I had finally closed the
dialogue box.
     Although the SVG files will open with the Gimp, the text is messed up.  Some of the text is
not in the original boxes.
LO will open the files in Drawing, but with no text at all!  Embedding the images in a Writer ODF
document is even worse using the Insert->Picture route.  This produces the lines, but they are all
messed up with lines going back on themselves like triangles.  Maybe these are existing dark links
in the file.  Again no text.
     Note that All the SVG files open in Safari and Firefox also Internet Explorer 6 in Windows XP.
     One final point, how do you get the email list to do paragraphs with line feeds?  When my
first post was posted to the list, all the new lines for change of paragraphs were removed!  I have
indented each para with 5 spaces - tabs don't work on yahoo mail website!

Declan Moriarty