2011/8/18 Steve Edmonds <steve.edmonds@ptglobal.com>:
Hey, don't you love it. I just noticed LO is clever like this. It replaced
my " " with 66 an 99 quotes like the old days.
steve

That behaviour can be changed at Tools → Options for auto correction…
→ Localised options.

If you change the locale to, for instance, Sweden, the default will be
” on both sides, ”like this”, while I guess the US default is “like
this”.

By the way, I took a look in the UTF-8 character map, and found that
the " found on a standard keyboard actually is called ”U+0022
QUOTATION MARK”, so I guess you COULD use it for that, but in public
things I guess you should stick with the real ones:
”U+201D RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK” for both sides in some countries,
and in some (most?) countries
”U+201C LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK” for left side.

I also found these:
′ – ”U+2032 PRIME” ”Alias name: minutes, feet”
″ – ”U+2033 DOUBLE PRIME” ”seconds, inches”

So there we have the real inches character, so I was obviously wrong
about that. I don't mind being wrong now and then, on the other hand,
as long as it's not too often… ;D

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ