2011/8/16 Andreas Säger <villeroy@t-online.de>:
There is more than one way and you are free to do whatever you want. It is
just me who suggests a better solution. Form controls used to be in there
since version 1.
As a matter of fact, most of their functionality is tailored for database
fields. Form controls used to be in Excel since many years, so they added
the interfaces that are needed to bind them to sheet cells.

Data validation by cell ranges has been introduced in version 2.0 because it
is in Excel and list/combo boxes are inappropriate in many cases. In version
2.3 they added support for validation by dynamic cell ranges (OFFSET, INDEX,
INDIRECT and such).

A typical example of what most people want to do:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/download/file.php?id=8592

refer to the first sheet, columns labeled "Category" and "Name".
We can not know what you are trying to do exactly, but certainly you don't
want 1000 form controls.

Another example of the dynamic ranges that do work since version 2.3:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/download/file.php?id=333

I have never seen that validation thing before, but I can see it is
useful, and it will probably solve a few of my problems I've had that
I previously gave up on… :D

Still there are cases when form controls are the right way to go, for
example when needing a way to start a macro manually with a button or
something.

Best regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ