On 10/08/11 16:41, Simon Cropper wrote:
*The upshot*

Unless someone recognised these symptoms and can put forward some ideas,
I am treating this as a corrupt file. I have drawn this conclusion
because (a) I can only reproduce the error on the effected file, (b) the
comment insert/delete trick is suggestive but not consistent (or at
least from what I can tell) - random sheets cause the file save error if
comments are inserted; inserting comments into new sheets also trigger
the error.

I just hope that recreating this file does not corrupt the new file as I
will need to copy blocks of text, numbers and formulas.

            *My attempts at recreating a clean file*

ATTEMPT 1

Created a new file with one less tab. All tabs were named the same as the original. I then cut-and-paste all the data from the original to this newly created file. This took about 10 minutes.

The problem is that all tab / sheet references after the omitted sheet moved across one. Despite the formula referencing the sheet name, the name is actually just a human readable cue for the underlying sheet number. So sheet Accounts (sheet #17 on the original file), which pointed to 'accounts lookup list' now points to the Tax sheet, which was #18 but is now #17 in the new file.

ATTEMPT 2

Created a new file with exactly the same number of tabs. All tabs were named the same as the original. I then cut-and-paste all the data from the original to this newly created file. This took about 10 minutes.

Then with baited breath I deleted the unrequired sheet that triggered this journey in the first place and clicked save. *It worked* - that is, it saved without triggering a write error.

I have checked - (a) all data is intact, and (b) all the formulas are working. :)

--
Cheers Simon

   Simon Cropper
   Principal Consultant