- user installed extensions seem to me to be a major issue from a school or
coporate view

I do not understand what you mean here.
If the extension issued by the school or is the lock down an issue that blocks LO's use in schools?

I have not followed this thread on the email lists, so I may be asking question already answered.

Which version if being used?  3.3.3? -- 3.3.4? -- 3.4.1? -- 3.4.2?
It appears that you are dealing with Windows.

As for the Windows placement, I looked into my Windows laptop and cannot figure out which folder/file in the ProgramFiles > Libreoffice3 or LibreOffice3.4 folders is where the user configuration is being held. Hopefully someone out there can tell us where.

For me, I if I have such a problem, I tend to delete the LibreOffice folder[s] in the ProgramFiles and/or ProgramData [Vista]. That will get rid of all the user and package settings. Then when you start up LO again, you will have to re-enter your info like a fresh install. At that point, I would add one extension at a time and try to avoid which one caused the problem - if known. I have had to do that several times for "broken" extensions that either failed to install properly, or caused major issues with LO when I try to use it.