On 09/08/11 06:27, gsward wrote:
Simon,

Thanks for this it did get me a good way further on but I am having problems
installing the driver.

./configure

runs OK
but

sudo make install

returns an error

make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

I have a .odbc.ini file and have made the necessary edit to point at my
database.  I can loacte it in LibreOffice now but it also tells me the
driver is not installed:
[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default driver
specified

Can you help?

Thanks,

Graham

This problem is more to do with you operating system configuration. Look carefully at the output from ./configure, you will probably find you are missing something - just because it runs does not mean that it worked.

The likely reason 'make install' does not work is that it is not been created by ./configure.

If you don't understand the output in the terminal use the mouse to select the text and copy it using Ctrl-Shift-C and paste it into an email using Ctrl-V as a reply to this thread or send it directly to me.

If you are reasonably confident in using linux, if configure asks for a particular package, look in the synaptic or apt for it and install it. You may be missing a c-compiler like gcc or something else like the linux-header source files.

Keep repeating "./configur"e until no more errors are encountered then try "sudo make install". Once you can get the two to work then your ODBC driver should appear.

--
Cheers Simon

   Simon Cropper
   Website Administrator
   http://www.fossworkflowguides.com
   The fossWorkflow Guides
   (c) Simon Cropper CC-BY-SA 3.0 Australia
   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/au/deed.en