Hello,
I'm using LibreOffice 3.4.2 OOO340m1 (Build:203) on a PC running Linux Mint
11.

I'm having difficulty with extending a selection as I'll try to describe
below.

I have six columns with headers named
A: date
B: scrip
C: buy
D: total
E: cum avg
F: shares
Every cell in the first four columns has data (till the end of the file).
Cells in column 5 and 6 have data only for the row corresponding to my
latest purchase of shares of a particular scrip. In this case, these in rows
5 and 10.

See attached image.
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3230960/Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png

In LibreOffice 3.3.2,
I could click on D2,
extend the selection to E2 with "shift" and the "right arrow",
and then move down straight to cell E5 (the next occupied cell in column E)
by holding down "control" and pressing the "down arrow" once.
I could then release the "control" key and press the "left arrow" to get the
total of cells D2 to D5.

With LibreOffice 3.4.2, I find the same procedure takes me right down to E10
which never used to happen with earlier versions.