Bill,

I apologise if I am about to tell you something you already know and have considered, but have you thought about code page errors? As I read your account I kept thinking how reminiscent it was of the problems I recently encountered where I had a particular spreadsheet that caused the GUI and many other things to go haywire (e.g. buttons and toolbars moving, column being rendered out-of-sync, ever growing lines, etc).

In the end I tracked it down to the use of the degrees sign (Alt-248 from the keyboard or Alt+0176 from the character map on XP; It is flagged as U+00B0 'Degree Sign'), inserted into a spreadsheet by a Visual Foxpro Program using Code Page 1252, then rendered on a Linux box using LO. It did not matter how the symbol got into the file - imported, cut and past, CSV import - all hell broke loose.

If you remove the 'degrees' sign from the original file everything just worked. Insert the symbol, the problem appears again.

The aberrant characters appeared to be acting as a control character being randomly parsed by LO/OO causing all sorts of problems.

This may not be the problem in your instance but as I said this kept going through my mind as I read your thread.

Maybe it is something to consider - either the data or macros may have been created in an unusual codepage that is confusing LO. That is to say it is expecting X and being given Y, and baulking at the result.

I solved my problem by stripping all seen and unseen characters from the data by filtering them through text editors then reinserted in a clean file. This is how I noticed the degree sign changing to another character.

Cheers Simon

   Simon Cropper
   Website Administrator
   http://www.fossworkflowguides.com
   The fossWorkflow Guides
   (c) Simon Cropper CC-BY-SA 3.0 Australia
   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/au/deed.en