Hi Gena,

gena_hill schrieb:
[..]

Let me be a little more specific about my problem . . . while I am writing,
I use Zotero to insert footnotes containing citation information.

You insert this as true LibO footnotes?

  Also, I
add footnotes manually when I need to add a little extra information.  These
footnotes come up in a different font than I am using, and I also like to
change the font size to be a little smaller.  I can not select all the
footnotes at once and change these things.   I have to do each one manually,
which adds up quickly when you consider there are 50-60 per chapter of my 8
chapter dissertation.  And then there are other documents that I am working
on too.  I almost never have a piece of writing without footnotes.

If they are true footnotes, they have the paragraph style 'footnote'. Goto Edit>Find&Replace and expand the dialog. Check "Search for Styles" and select "footnote" from the search drop down list. Then click Find all. Now all footnotes are marked and you can remove all hard formatting with Format>Clear Direct Formatting. Close dialog.

Now right click a footnote and select the item Edit Paragraph Style. In tap Font set the desired font and font size.

Kind regards
Regina