Hi :)
Possibly the best way to deal with the whole issue is to open the file in MS
Office 2007 or 2010 on a Windows machine.  I think their MS Office for Mac 2008
is really based on their 2003 release not their 2007 one.  I think they did add
the infamous ribbon rather than normal menus but it's still using 2003
underneath.  I could be wrong as my memory is a bit vague about it.

Use their "Save As ..." to save to Ods format.  Then it should open in
LibreOffice with no problems.  MS Office uses the older Ods format, version
1.0/1.1 instead of 1.2 but LibreOffice has no trouble with that.  Alternatively
use "Save As ..." to save in "Excel (97/2000/Xp)" format so that it save as the
xls without the X at the end.  Again LibreOffice has almost no trouble with
that.  I don't know why MS couldn't use the newer ODF formats, it's not as
though they were hidden or any more difficult to implement.

Regards from
Tom :)