never punctual wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I understand how manual
hyphenation works now!

From how you explain it, it looks like you understand, yes.

By the way I tried out Ctrl + Enter, and all it did was move my cursor down
to the next page.

I think the key combination should be SHIFT+ENTER.  The other key
combination (CTRL+ENTER) is actually for "Insert page break".

Finally, I think I still don't understand exactly how Tools --> Language -->
Hyphenation works, but I think I got a little closer. It just says
"hyphenation complete" when I go to it without typing anything, but if I
type something and add a manual hyphenation somewhere, that function seems
to let me choose where to put a hyphen in a word (the equal signs are places
where I can place the hyphen) even if I don't select any text. But this
option seems a bit inflexible because I can only insert hyphens at the equal
signs, and nowhere else. Am I missing something?

Honestly, I haven't really used hyphenation before (especially the
"Tools -> Language -> Hyphenation" function), so I can't really help
you there.  Nevertheless, I agree with planas in an earlier post...
"It appears to work
much like spell checking typically does".  Looks like you run it after
you've mostly completed your document, then it suggests "manual"
hyphenations.

But I do suggest adding automatic hyphenation to your paragraph style
if you want it to automatically hyphenate your text.  If you have
automatic hyphenation, then you don't need to add manual hyphenation
to words.  It is described in the wiki page listed earlier
(http://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Hyphenation) but I'll just quickly
mention it here:
1.  Open up "Styles and formatting" by pressing F11 (if it is not already open).
2.  Select the paragraph style that should get automatic hyphenation
(e.g. Default).  This can be done by selecting the paragraph in the
text, or by selecting the style manually in "Styles and formatting"
3.  On the selected style name (within "Styles and formatting") do the
following: Right-click -> Modify...
4.  Select the "Text flow" tab.
5.  Under the section "Hyphenation" (at the very top) tick the box
labelled "Automatically".
6.  Click OK (you can modify the other hyphenation options if you
want, but I think the default values are fine).
The paragraphs style you modified should now automatically hyphenate.

The steps mentioned above are for my system, I'm not sure if they are
identical on other operating systems.

Regards
Stephan