Ken,

I have always lived on a remote farm.  Until satellite came along with
DirectPC, I used to have to spend $300/month on dial up just to check
email.  Not only was dial-up the only game in town, every ISP was long
distance.  Switching to satellite the day it was available was a no
brainer.

It is true that there are more people on dial-up than one suspects in
the U.S.  In many cases they are simply stubborn.  One of my Aunts would
be a prime example.  Where she lives she can have cable or satellite TV,
but she has an antenna.  She has a choice of cable, wireless broadband,
DSL, and ADSL for Internet, yet chooses dial-up.

I suspect you would have better signal if you changed cell carriers.
Those maps lie.  Verizon is the worst company on the face of the planet
to work for (with the possible exception of Walmart), but its 3G and
wireless network does cover > 90% of the geographic U.S.  All other
"nationwide" carriers only cover about 20% of the country.

That being as it may.  There is a massive push mandated by state and
federal governments for all phone carriers to upgrade all switches
around the country to provide at a minimum ADSL service.  Even the lowly
little switch in the town of less than 300 people which provides my
local phone service got a brand new fibre channel cable trenched to it.
The switch is way down on the waiting list for upgrade...but...I believe
the carriers only have until the end of 2012...just like when the
government mandated the elimination of rotary dial switches and party
lines.

FWIW, the government body which compiles Internet statistics has stated
that they are going to remove from counting "dial-up access customers"
because they could not obtain the minimum bandwidth necessary for most
services these days.