2011/6/1 toki <toki.kantoor@gmail.com>:

On 28/05/2011 10:36, Nuzhna Pomoshch wrote:
1. Why is the default column width in Calc 2.27 cm?
Where does that number come from?

That is supposed to be one inch wide. (I know that one inch is 25.4mm,
but the conversion was incorrectly done, and hasn't been changed since
then.)

I was also trying to figure out why 2.27, and now when you said that I
think I know the answer. As most of us know, 1"=25,4 mm = 2,54 cm. It
seems like someone confused 1" and ½". INstead of doubling ½" to
2·1.27 cm, only the integer part was double and the decimals were kept
as they were, therefore 2.27 cm. That COULD happen if you think way
too fast…

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

How do I change it

It is hard wired into LibO.  :(

I've seen a code snippet that enables users to change it in OOo, but you
have to recompile OOo to take advantage of it.

This should be something that can be changed at ">Tools >Options >Calc
General".

Whilst changing the column size on the default template should work,
experience has shown that to be inconsistent.

2. I sometimes need to work in cm, and sometimes in
inches. How do I change from one to the other?

You have to switch from a metric to an English locale.
And then restart LibO.

">Tools >Options >languages >Locale Setting"

3. How do I get hidden ("dot" directories) to appear
in the open and save dialog boxes (they appear in
all of the window manager dialog boxes)?

This depends upon the file manager that is used.

4. Why is it so !@#$%^&* hard to format cells (this
 has continued from OpenOffice)?

You have to use cell styles.
Cell styles are neither difficult, nor complicated to use.  However, for
reasons I don't understand, people are reluctant to use them.

jonathon
- --
If Bing copied Google, there wouldn't be anything new worth requesting.

If Bing did not copy Google, there wouldn't be anything relevant worth
requesting.

                             DaveJakeman 20110207 Groklaw.