Hi :)
To some extent it is inevitable that people adapt to new ways of doing things
because different software makes certain things easier.  Many people struggled
with Word when it first appeared but it has become ingrained into mainstream
society.

Many people used to touch-type with 2 hands adding in formatting as they typed
through certain key-combinations.  In Word this is practically impossible.
People have grown used to either

1.  typing a bit, reach for the mouse, move back to the keyboard and try to find
position often losing track of where they were on-screen and off-screen
2.  typing 1 handed with the other hand on the mouse often spending ages trying
to work out where certain keys are on the keyboard and how to reach them
efficiently and then losing their place in the document they were working from
3.  typing chunks of a document and then going back to add formatting later.

I remember Word-Perfect in one office that had a keyboard overlay so that you
could see what the function-keys did.  Of course proper fast touch-typists were
unhappy because they don't look at the keyboard because it slows down the typing
or allows errors to creep into the document.  Another office had a list of the
function-keys actions down the side of the monitor.

Word has many ways of doing things that appear easy and intuitive but that make
document creation slow, clumsy and error-prone.  In mainstream society we are
very used to horrible errors in documents and seldom even notice them these days
- unless the document is created by something we are trying to find reasons to
slate.  OpenOffice/LibreOffice often produce much higher quality documents by
avoiding many of Word's formatting errors such as switching styles randomly,
perhaps languages switching back into USA again despite global setting and
program setting being set to local languages.

Is change always bad?  Ideally we get to keep working the way we are familiar
with while having access to better ways that we can learn gradually, at our own
pace.

Regards from
Tom :)