Subject: [libreoffice-users] Un-Impressed
From: timi@iafrica.com
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 10:13:27 +0200
To: users@libreoffice.org
Bruce,

Thanks for advice about backing -up... I do! I can go to a backed up copy of Impress
presentation with all 400 links present.... close the program and reload and 25% chance all
links have vanished.

open all links gone.

The risk is immediate and instant... all you need to do is save your current file.

The absolute risk is standing up in front of a few important customers .. start presentation....
no sound... links vanish.

The most important fact to know: does this failure occur when the
presentation is created and run in the native odp file format? Only if
the answer is yes should LO be interested to solve as high priority.
The overall objective must always be high quality native format
software, not file format conversion capability.

I am not able to indentify as to what triggers this wipe out.... if I open each "interaction play
sound" links then the path is displayed and is correct. The link however is dead. As I've said
before to refresh the link you can't copy and paste as it does not restore the link. The only
way to refresh the link is to re-browse the path and click OK then the link is restored.

Surely there's someone in LibO team who could recognise these symptoms? I mean what
activity can access the links to reset them or somehow invalidate them?

I even wondered if when I defrag my drives I could somehow upset the pathways....

I'm sure someone will say it's XP's problem (which may well be true). I asked a linux wizz to
run the presentation on Ubuntu and so far the links are stable. Minor problem my customers
are all MS.

It is recommended to use the native LO formats for whatever tasks are
required and demonstrate the superiority of LO compared to using m$o.
LO should not be promoted in the context of "it can open and save to
m$ formats".

Same problem also occurs under Win7 environment.

The second problem is if you attempt to convert from impress odp to xls and them open in
MS all the text and pictures are ok but the audio links non-existant. I can only think the
"interaction - play sound" function in Impress is different to MS and hence the loss.

Wrong strategy: use the native LO impress format and when the
resultant presention is impressive (geddit? Why Impress is a good
brand name! :)), people may ask about LO.

BTW if we all adopted the attitude of never trying new systems and just be content with MS
then as a race we deserve to die out.

Perhaps try to make a presentation using a linux powered netbook?