Hi Timi,

timi@iafrica.com wrote:
I recently reported issues I expereinced with LibO Impress and MP3 files. I have summarised
it as follows which hopefully might give someone a clue as what the problem is and when it
might be fixed?

My System is Win XP Pro + SP3 and LibreOffice 3.3.0 (OOO330 m19 Build 6, tag libreoffice
- 3.3.0.4)

1). LibO Impress has a nasty habit of "losing" the link between an icon (on the screen) with
an "interaction" set to "play sound". In the interaction window you can still see the correct
path to the MP3 file BUT it's dead and won't play when the icon is clicked on. If you re-set the
I'm on Linux, so I wonder if this might be a Windows-specific problem.
Adding an mp3 (attaching it to something with the Interaction... > Play
sound) seems to work even closing and re-opening the presentation. I
also tried moving it around and the link keeps working.
path by browsing the file and saying OK the link is re-activated. If you simply cut and paste
the path the link remains dead. I have no idea what causes the loss... when it happens
there's no apparent associated event.... you can switch off PC one night and next morning....
no links! The loss of links is infrequent BUT lethal.... You start your presentation never
knowing if audio is working today or not! Worse still is the massive waste of time re-setting
lost links.

I also wonder if the loss is related to the number of slides and/or audio files in my
presentation. I have 96 slides with a total of 409 links to MP3 files (very short clips). If I
build
a test page with say 6 links to mp3's I can never get it to lose the links?

Does LibO expect sounds files that are to be played via "interact play sound" to be in the
Gallery or can they be in any nominated directory.. I say this because there appears to be
some hangup in the Gallery function in that if you try and add a new folder of sounds in MP3
format I can't get it to work... after the Gallery folder build runs there's a folder but no files
inside? Am I right that maybe Gallery only accepts .wav files?... also maybe there's limit on
filesize in the gallery?... if so that's not good.

2) If you try and convert LibO Impress .odp format to .ppt then the text, pictures and icon
graphics get converted OK, however the audio files vanish completely. I think this is because
Powerpoint does not have an "interaction" function but uses a modified "hyper-link" for doing
things like "playing sound". In my experience this also applies to trying to convert to .pps
format as well.
What I know is that having sound or video in MS PP has always been hell,
and when needed I always keep an external player opened.
As I've said before (personal opinion) this failure to convert makes using Impress a non
starter (no matter how much I do not like MS) in business you have to have uniform
communication...
Although it's impossible to convert everything. LibreOffice basically
uses XML, if Powerpoint uses some windows-specific trickery, say using
media player or similar, to play the files it's impossible to 'convert'
that in the format...

I can't tell a client who has spent thousands on MS licences to down load
LibO if he wants to see my presentation.
True. In fact I see a more general point in having the possibility to
export presentations in more portable formats taking advantage of HTML5,
SVG and the new browser technologies.
If you could save your presentation in a format which run in any modern
browser that would probably solve your portability problem.

Lorenzo.
3) Image mapping in Impress does not seem to work. Maybe it's me but I cannot get an area
of a picture to become "hot" by placing an Image map behind the picture. I think this was a
bug in OOO, not sure?

Generally i love the functionality of LibO and would, without doubt chuck MS Office IF I could
guarantee LibO conversions  could be opened by any MS System AND do not lose or corrupt
any content.

sincerely

timi