Problems with OOXML conversions could be seen as intended by design by
Microsoft, which is attempting to supplant the simpler OpenDocument
Format standard with its own complex inscrutable standards.

Years ago, I found a copy of a memo that appeared to be written by
Bill Gates in response to an accidental posting of the proprietary
MSOffice Document standards on a public board -- the standard was
quickly grabbed by programmers, and shortly after all the MS Office
competitors released versions that were completely Microsoft Office
XP-compliant.

But, you can probably find better information that I can provide here
by Googling  ODF vs OOXML .

I believe that the legacy Office formats are handled quite well by
open source Office applications because they had the original coding
for it, and that Microsoft is attempting to re-establish
format-dominance with its version of OOXML which is so complicated
that it is difficult to convert.

The OOXML format doesn't seem to be properly implemented by MS Office even tho i
thought they drew up the specifications for it (i could easily be wrong about
that and don't care if i am).  Ahh well.  Hopefully it will all settle down a
bit soon.
Regards from
Tom :)