On 3/24/2011 4:15 AM, James Wilde wrote:

On Mar 24, 2011, at 02:19 , Michel Gagnon wrote:

Le 2011-03-23 19:23, Andy Brown a écrit :
Roger Stein wrote:
Is there any way to start any of the individual Libre Office
applications so that you don't automatically go back to the Application
Menu when you close a document? For example, I open a writer document,
edit it, and then close it and remain in the writer application.

Thanks.

Roger Stein

On the upper right end of the top Menu Bar is an X box, click that and Writer will close and leave
you in the Start screen. The Start/Splash is the same screen you get if you start soffice instead
of one of the programs.

HTH

Yes indeed. However, if I understand correctly the question, Roger wants to know if there is a way
to keep a standard Write window open, but with a grey work zone, just like what happens with
Microsoft Windows.

To that, I'll say NO. I would add that most (all?) modules of LibreOffice are more tightly integrated than
those of Microsoft Office, so no time or resources are "wasted" by loading the start screen.

But in MS Word, when one closes the last open document, the grey screen is not a new document that
you can start typing in - it's just background.  You still have to click on File/New or File/Open.
Personally I also found the Start screen (where one can choose a type of document or open a
template) a bit of a nuisance.  Someone reported on a way to skip that screen both at start-up and
on closing a document back in the days before LibO, and I implemented it, and carried my profile
over to LibO, so it works that way.  LibO now starts directly into a Writer doc (NOTE: I do NOT
have a script that calls LibO with a parameter).  I'm not sure whether it was in the preferences,
or somewhere in the menu system that this setting was found, but it was well-hidden.

Unfortunately, I have forgotten how it was done, and I haven't yet been able to find the original
references to it by searching the archives at OOo.

If anyone sees this and remembers, please let me know.  It will also help the OP.

//James

Find the writer executable, create a shortcut to it (place it where you wish it to appear) and that shortcut will open writer direct and when you close writer it is closed completely.

--
Gene Young