On 03/09/2011 04:20 PM, rabbit.editor wrote:
Why is there no Windows 64-bit build?
That's it. just a simple quesion.

In my opinion . . . .
For the longest time, even though there was a 64-bit version of Windows, computer venders would not install the 64-bit version on their 64-bit products due to driver issues. The current question is - does the 32-bit package work on the 64-bit OS and how much faster would it be using a 64-bit version?

I know that with Ubuntu 64-bit, many 32-bit packages will not run, so we need 64-bit packages. I hate it when I want to use packages like Lightscribe, but they only have a 32-bit DEB install. So to extend that reasoning, I would hate to not have a 64-bit package on Windows 64-bit, if the 32-bit version did not work. I assume it does at this point.

Next, how many users of Windows currently have the 64-bit version? Most users of Vista I know of do not have the 64-bit version. My Dell is 64-bit processor but they did not offer the Vista 64-bit version for the laptop. Win 7? How many users have Win 7's 64-bit version? More than Vista I assume. XP? No 64-bit version for that either as far as I could find when I bought that laptop. And yes, a lot of people still use XP SP2 or SP3.

So now what is needed to take the source code and convert and compile it to a 64-bit version. I do not think it is a easy as just taking the 32-bit Windows source code and compiling it on a 64-bit Windows computer. I could be wrong, but it is a good guess. It tends never to be that simple. Even if it was, you would have a 32-bit version compiled as a 64-bit version and not coded to take advantage of the full 64-bit architecture.

That is the real issue for wanting a 64-bit version of the package, right? Having a package rewritten to taking advantage of the 64-bit's assets to make the package run faster.

Then we need to ask again, how many of the Windows users need a 64-bit version when the 32-bit version works fine? 5%, 10%, 30%??? Since LibreOffice has been "officially" out with 3.3.0/3.3.1 for less than two months, you may need to give the developers time to deal with what is currently on their schedules before they have a chance to develop the Windows 64-bit version. If there comes a time when they get enough interest in it by volunteers willing to take on the Win 64-bit version project, then you should see one come out quickly enough.

Another question. Can the 64-bit XP [if there is one], 64-bit Vista, and the 64-bit Win 7 use the same 64-bit package? Of would you need to make one for XP, another one for Vista, and a third for Win 7. I know there are major driver issues between the versions, so it could indicate that you may need different version of 64-bit Windows packages, one for each version. That could be a problem, who decided which 64-bit version to do and which to not do at this point.

I have a friend that never upgraded to MacOSX since it did not work "well enough" for her needs and kept crashing on her. I do not think she will ever get a version of LibreOffice for her Mac. Not enough people still using it to make the effort worth the developer's time and remainder of their head of hair. So if there is not enough users needing a 64-bit Windows version of LibreOffice, then those people who want it, may have a longer wait for that version.

This is all opinion. What actually decides what platforms are being developed for is not something in my bailiwick. But my opinion and view is from the 20+ years as a mainframe and early PC programmer. I do not program any more, since my first stroke in the early 1990's, so I do not know what the current developers use for deciding what is being done and when.