Alex,

No it isn't, in the sense that the formatting you specified isn't
applied, but if you configured your database field as DATE, then in Base
that means whatever the locale representation string is, e.g.
"YYYY-MM-DD", so Base doesn't understand when you just type in the year.
 This is why it works when you type in the whole date.

Except isn't that the entire point of the field mask 'YYYY'? To tell the
program that although it is a date field the only portion you will be
receiving as input is the year portion?

I have no answer to that one other than configuring your database field
as INT(4) and using an integer to represent the year as YYYY instead,
but this means that you get only that data in the database, and not the
whole date. I'm pretty certain that this problem has already come up on
the OpenOffice.org forums (but not necessarily their mailing lists).

You confirm my thinking that setting the field to some other format is the
answer, albeit an unsatisfactory answer. I am not seeing an option for a
4-digit integer in the field definition options so I guess I'll just have to
use a basic numeric format for now.

I can't see this happening in LibO anytime soon, there is a noticeable
and rather worrying dearth of Base developers in the LibO developer's
group.

Well, that's disappointing to hear. Hopefully some of the Base developers
who have remained loyal to the OO project will soon get tired of Oracle and
come over to LO.

Thanks.