Hi

So it is quite high spec machine.  I think LibreOffice will get better at this
but using .doc and .xls might be the cause of the issue.  Is it possible to try
a  test case using .odt instead of .doc and another using .ods instead of .xls?
They might also open quickly in MS Office.

Another way to reduce file size might be to use different formats for pictures
and things embedded in the document.  For emailing, documents and for  websites
i just re-save pictures in gif format which everyone can read.

Png is often better for photographs but isn't always much smaller.  Gifs are
often about 1/10th the size of jpgs.  They tend to be better for logos rather
than things that might have a lot of curves or shading.  Cleaning up an image
can reduce the amount of data being stored in an image but i don't often have
time to do much.  Smaller file-sizes are much quicker for emailing, uploading,
opening and so on.

If a document is broken into sections the parts can all be put into a single
zip-file but this type of document might be better as html perhaps on an
internal network or perhaps just on a single machine.  Perhaps xml or laTex or
something might be better but i don't know those whereas html is fairly easy.
There might be a good way to use the problem to end up improving the current
work-flow in some small but significant way.

Regards from
Tom :)