Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas <at> gmail.com> writes:

On 2011/02/20 1:22 PM  Ken Springer wrote:
"Some special-case subscribers might want to be able to post to a list but >
might
not want to receive messages from that list (community contributors who post
announcements, for instance). In this case, please subscribe to the
so-called
"nomail" version of the list by attaching -nomail to the normal subscription
address. For example, to do this for The Document Foundation general
discussions
list, the subscription address would be:
discuss+subscribe-nomail <at> documentfoundation.org."

It is not clear you have to use this option to be able to read the list via
newsgroup server, and I presume the same is for Gmane.  I would suggest to
whomever is in charge a change in the special notes if I was sure how to do
offer the suggestion.
You do not need to subscribe in order to read the list, only in order to post
to it.

But where's the fun in not being able to post?  :-)

How do I make the change in the email preferences?  Unsubscribe my current >
email
address and then resubscribe adding the "nomail" option?
Unsubscribe your current account an then resubscribe to the nomail version.

I can do that, thanks.

This reply and the previous one to Larry Gusass is sent from Gmane.  Getting
that to work was another exercise in frustration, but eventually figured it
out.
I post with my newsreader through Gmane. I do not do anything online at the
Gmane site. Setting
it up is easy if you are used to setting up newsgroups and using newsreaders.

Two things I don't like about Gmane's operations is no way to collapse
threads
that I've found, and vertical frame size adjustments are not retained,
although
that may be a browser problem.  As of right now, I've only used Gmane in > >
Firefox
3.6.13 in Mac OS X 10.6.6.
I don't use Gmane online. I read and post through it using a newsreader
(Thunderbird). I do the
same for my Gmail accounts. I download the emails and post with Thunderbird
rather than doing
it online.

I just tried using a reader for posting this reply, but I could find no way to
make the reply plain text.  Even though there was an icon to make it plain text,
it was greyed out in both a reply window and a new message window.  And making
the message plain text is not in their help file or on their website.
GRRRRRRRR   This is why I have so little respect for software folks who want to
have you use their product, but provide pitiful instructions and help.  :-(

The other sad thing is, this particular reader was well recommended in an online
forum I checked, yet it doesn't do anything that Outlook Express did 7 years ago.

I sent an email asking how, though.

Thanks again for the help, Larry.  I'll go unsubscribe and resubscribe now.

Ken

PS  Gmane can't even manage to make lines less than 80 characters long
itself!!!!  LOL