Somewhere along the development path OO/LO has lost the facility to open StarOffice 1.x ".sdw" (Writer) files directly.

I have just switched from OO to LO, and have a small number of old sdw files I need to open and update to the .odt file format.

The LO help says to use the file import wizard, but when I tried this on a folder containing (amongst some other files) 5 .sdw files, I hit the error-

   BASIC runtime error
   An exception occurred
   type com.sun.start.lang.IllegalArgumentException
   Message URL seems to be an unsupported one

At this point the BASIC window is hung, you can't exit the script because it says it's still running, but the stop button in the macro window is inactive. The only way out is to kill off soffice.bin from the task manager, nasty.

Now it was LO that found the 5 files in the first place, so it seems odd it should then decide it can't handle them?

After the first failed attempt I wondered if the problem coiuld be because the files were on a network-mounted drive, or because there were other (LO and non-LO) files in the same folder, so I made a new folder on the windows desktop with just 4 .sdw files in it, but the same error occurred.

Is LO no longer able to open StartOffice files?

If this is the case, is finding an installing an older version of OpenOffice my only route to recovering these files?

Regards: Colin