----- Original Message ----
From: "ashleyt@arcet.com" <ashleyt@arcet.com>
To: users@libreoffice.org
Sent: Fri, 18 February, 2011 16:41:08
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Default file formats

If you do a custom install the option to set that appears at that time.

My apologies, I did not phrase my question clearly.  I was able to do the
installation so LO was the default
application to open all MS Office files, but I need to set LO so, by default,
all files are saved in MS Office

format.  If I go to Tools - Options - Load/Save - General, I can set the
document types to Always save as

Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP, but that only works for one user.

We have LO installed on an application server, so I have 50 or more users that
need to be set to always save in

the MS format.  There are some scripts for OO which can be run from command line
using the command

"unopkg add --shared Setup-writer.xcu" for example, but I do not know if the
naming conventions for LO and OO

are so close that the same scripts will work.

Hi :)

Ok, i am almost completely sure that the script will work but before running it
you need to set-up a way of testing it.  So, how about setting your own user
account to default to odt format, run the script and then see what format your
account defaults to?

LO and OOo are opened by the same command on a command-line and while running
they both still show up in any list of running processes as "soffice" which
stands for "Star Office".  Star Office became OpenOffice about a decade ago but
renaming stuff like that is not simply a quick find&replace!

Regards from
Tom :)