Hi :)

it is possible to use a different machine, perhaps one at a CyberCafe or
internet cafe to download stuff.

Synaptic makes it easier by allowing you to setup a script that can then be used
on a Linux, Windows or Mac (or possibly even BSD) machine to do the
downloading.  In Synaptic choose the stuff you want to download.  Instead of
clicking "Apply" go to it's menus and click on

File - "Save Markings"

and save to usb-stick, rewritable cd or even just attach it to an email and
email yourself.  The script is quite tiny.  A word of caution tho!  When you
double-click or run the script on a machine it downloads all the packages to the
folder the script is in so DONT put the script on the machine's desktop!  A nice
temp folder on the desktop is much better ;)

Also somewhere in synaptic it allows you to avoid clearing out your package
download cache so that reinstalling is easier as suggested by Peter.  I think
the default is to keep packages for 30days or something but this may have been
changed in the interests of slimming.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)