Hi Ruud,

Ruud Mantingh wrote (08-02-11 12:35)

Has anybody have any (bad) experience with opening Excel spreadsheets in
Calc?
I'm often working with very large Excel spreadsheets containing lots of
formulas and macros.
Office 2007 opens these almost instantaneously.
LibreOffice takes a very long time and I even have seen it choke on one.
I think there's some major rework / rethink needed for Calc because as it
stands
I'm too embarrased to show it at work.
Basically for anything slightly complicated it's not fit for purpose IMHO.

Well, it's not that bad. But depends what your reference is. Very large Excel spreadsheets containing lots of formulas and macros are indeed slow.

Is anything done to address this?

Indeed! Kohei Yoshida must have paid attention to this while speaking at FOSDEM, past weekend.
See http://www.fosdem.org/2011/schedule/event/calccore

However, it is not something as a 'quick fix', obviously.

Hope this gives some confidence for the future ;-)

Regards,
Cor