Upcoming policy change on Jitsi: room *creation* limited to TDF members

Hi there,

Starting this week-end (after the conference) creating new rooms on our
Jitsi instance <https://jitsi.documentfoundation.org> will require
authentication (from our Single Sign-On platform). Joining an existing
room will remain possible without authentication. “Guests” will need to
wait in the lobby until someone opens the room, at which point they will
be let in automatically.

This likely means that creating new rooms will no longer be possible
from the mobile app (a browser is needed to render the SSO portal form
and redirect back). Again, joining existing rooms from the mobile will
remain possible however.

The rationale is to avoid our instance being abused and/or used for non
TDF-related meetings. For now creating a new room will be limited to
TDF members; please shout out if you need to create new rooms but are
not a TDF member yet (though if that's the case you should definitely
consider applying for membership ^^), we can create ad-hoc ACLs if needs
be. Also at first there won't be any distinction between rooms (*any*
TDF member will be able to create *any* room), but fine-tuning (so say
only BoD chair can open this room or only staff can open that room etc.)
is possible if desired.

Note also that a room stays alive until the last person hangs up, even
after the creator and moderators have left. Please use shared secrets
to secure rooms from unsolicited visitors, either by setting a password
after creation or via the use of passwordless rooms with non-guessable
names.

Cheers,

Had to rush that into production today. Those of you who were following
LibOCon on our jitsi instance will most likely understand why.

Room creation is temporarily restricted to TDF *staff members* for now,
but we'll open it to all foundation members during the week-end once
the conference is over.

This is why we can't have nice things… Sigh.

Hi,

Guilhem Moulin wrote:

Had to rush that into production today. Those of you who were following
LibOCon on our jitsi instance will most likely understand why.

let me thank you personally for all your and other community members' hard work behind the scenes for the conferencing system today. You jumped in when we unexpectedly had issues, and by your work and dedication helped the community to, in the end, experience a conference where they can talk, chat and share their ideas and visions - truly, thanks a lot for that!

Florian

Hi,

Guilhem Moulin wrote:
> Had to rush that into production today. Those of you who were following
> LibOCon on our jitsi instance will most likely understand why.

let me thank you personally for all your and other community members'
hard work behind the scenes for the conferencing system today. You
jumped in when we unexpectedly had issues, and by your work and
dedication helped the community to, in the end, experience a conference
where they can talk, chat and share their ideas and visions - truly,
thanks a lot for that!

Florian

+1 from me, infra team really rocks. You just showed that TDF's human
resources is one of our more precious assets.

Thank you for your work.

Thanks all for the kind words! And Daniel for this useful reminder:

[…] TDF's human resources is one of our more precious assets.

which applies to all community members IMHO :slight_smile:

Peace and enjoy the conference!