[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[libreoffice-projects] minutes of conference ESC call ...


* Present:
+ Xisco, Thorsten, Stephan, Miklos, Cloph, Eike, Michael M,
Michael S., Olivier, Michael W, Caolan, Kendy
+ plus other conference attendees.

* Completed Action Items:

* Pending Action Items:
+ default bitergia filter for master + libreoffice-* (Christian)
[ enabled for gerrit (default) view enabled, but default git
view needs improving with external script ]

* Release Engineering update (Christian)
+ as per the public wiki, time-based release plan.
+ sub-divided by major releases etc.
+ 6.0.7 RC1 - due next week
+ final planned 6.0 version
+ 6.1.2 RC1 (one release cycle)
+ about to release this.
+ typically announced Thur - today is Thur ...
+ 6.1.3 RC1 - Week start Oct 15th
+ 6.2 Alpha 1
+ due in ~2 weeks.
+ Remotes
+ no news.
+ Android viewer
+ plagued by bug causing crash on K/B input
+ caused(?) by build environment upgrade
+ could reproduce it on an older build that worked in the past
+ discussed removing the editing features from public version
+ have it only for Alpha/Beta programme users
+ either download/side-load, or click
"want to participate in alpha programme"
+ Isn't it already an option (Ash)
+ yes, but may be enabled already, bigger test set
+ if crashes when you choose to edit
+ hard to stabilize, without sample docs etc.
+ can we add meta-data to crash report ? (Miklos)
+ is editing enabled or not ?
+ used to be possible to throw an exception + text (Kendy)
+ can't get that into the crash dump anymore
+ would need to have a dialog + E-mail instead.
+ Online

* Documentation (Olivier)
+ finished "Getting Started" book - now published
+ having a break before next release.
+ new help (old help -> HTML, shown in browser)
+ starting new improvements of content & new features
+ continuing to work on documenting new features with no help.
+ a great place to contribute (Michael)
+ developing a help editor to make life easier for newcomers (Olivier)
+ idea - a way to make authoring Help-XML easier
+ also easier to validate
+ have the editor on-line, with link to gerrit submission
+ new help will be shown in next documentation session.

* UX Update (Heiko)
+ Bugzilla (topicUI) statistics
247(247) (topicUI) bugs open, 295(295) (needsUXEval) needs to be evaluated by the UXteam
+ Updates:
BZ changes 1 week 1 month 3 months 12 months
added 14(9) 27(2) 41(5) 98(6)
commented 57(23) 172(2) 371(4) 1560(11)
removed 0(0) 1(1) 2(1) 6(-2)
resolved 2(1) 6(-1) 29(-2) 138(-3)
+ top 10 contributors:
Kainz, Andreas made 87 changes in 1 month, and 184 changes in 1 year
Tietze, Heiko made 78 changes in 1 month, and 573 changes in 1 year
Thomas Lendo made 73 changes in 1 month, and 258 changes in 1 year
Xisco Faulí made 21 changes in 1 month, and 288 changes in 1 year
Cor Nouws made 15 changes in 1 month, and 96 changes in 1 year
Monastirsky, Maxim made 12 changes in 1 month, and 57 changes in 1 year
Drew Jensen made 12 changes in 1 month, and 12 changes in 1 year
Buovjaga made 9 changes in 1 month, and 142 changes in 1 year
Telesto made 7 changes in 1 month, and 66 changes in 1 year
kompilainenn made 7 changes in 1 month, and 39 changes in 1 year

=> revert this week unless someone takes an interest in fixing …
+ Nickson submitted a patch https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/60787/
“[09:01] <nicksonT> Htietze: the commit switches the default caption
so if its a new document then use figure as the category but if the
document already uses illustration (i.e, pre 6.1) then make
illustration the default category”
+ Fix hopefully forthcoming

* Deprecate Mozilla Persona and trust in locally installed only (Heiko)
+ https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=119868
+ thanks to Mohammed we have a patch to update the HTML parser
+ takes ~ages for each thumbnail
+ possible to improve things; still a question if we should
remove ability to retrieve data from the server
+ should we do that ?
+ Mohammed working on making it easier to bundle personas
+ we plan to ship our own personas / customizations in 6.2
+ a great feature
+ like to bundle personas as extensions
+ enriching things like 'dark themes'
+ proposal to deprecate Mozilla's bits
+ up to Mohammed

* Crash Testing (Caolan)
+ 4 (-516) import failure, 39(+3) export failures
+ strange nonreproducible failures still
+ common thing are related to images,
not reproducible locally, or on test system
individually
+ are reproducible in the full build - OOM? or ...
+ started around a month ago.
+ 1(-5) coverity issues
+ Google / ossfuzz: down for a while, build fixed again
- 6 issues, 1 serious (solved)
+ ForcePoint, round 9
- 5 writer layout issues

* Crash Reporting (Xisco)
+ <out of date numbers>
+ http://crashreport.libreoffice.org/stats/version/5.4.7.2
+ 468 (last 7 days) (-30)
+ http://crashreport.libreoffice.org/stats/version/6.0.5.2
+ 1026 (last 7 days) (-52)
+ http://crashreport.libreoffice.org/stats/version/6.0.6.2
+ 837 (last 7 days) (+107)
+ http://crashreport.libreoffice.org/stats/version/6.1.0.3
+ 2134 (last 7 days) (-43)
+ http://crashreport.libreoffice.org/stats/version/6.1.1.2
+ 1428 (last 7 days) (-)
+ number for each version is for last 7 days ...
+ http://crashreport.libreoffice.org/
+ Bitmap related issue - 25% of crashes
+ ntdll.dll ... very long standing problem.
+ how do we ignore old builds ? (Ash)
+ filtered out in the UI of the tool (Markus)

* Hackfests & Events (Thorsten)
+ normally have a section on this to highlight next things.
+ if you need help with travel - TDF can help fund that, poke Thorsten
+ DINAcon - Bern / Switzerland – Hackfest ~ October 19th (Michael)
+ Michael to go.
+ need a wiki page setup etc.
+ Munich (Thorsten)
+ https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Hackfest/Muenchen2018
+ Oct 26-28th, CIB main office
+ an Open Gov’t meeting from the City of Munich
+ good to have a hack-fest back-to-back there largely
for local types.
+ Google Code-In (Xisco)
+ project for younger participants
+ Application submitted by Xisco
+ Google asking for high amount of mentors (~10) and tasks (~150)
+ more than we can provide this time
+ skip this year
+ learn from that for next year, ask other orgs like KDE (Thorsten)
+ GSOC session tomorrow (Heiko)
+ can talk about Code-In thing.
+ lots of simple tasks required, some graphics, docs, help, l10n
+ but need lots of mentors to get people into the project.

* mentoring/easyhack update
committer... 1 week 1 month 3 months 12 months
open 69(-15) 144(-2) 146(-3) 157(-3)
reviews 1213(89) 4492(3) 13752(-103) 28519(589)
merged 286(2) 1170(9) 3834(-37) 14843(30)
abandoned 7(-1) 34(0) 124(-5) 921(-6)
own commits 380(109) 1255(146) 3439(152) 15470(1)
review commits 35(-13) 255(-40) 888(-44) 3672(-27)
contributor... 1 week 1 month 3 months 12 months
open 27(9) 59(9) 61(10) 64(9)
reviews 44(-20) 262(-8) 541(-19) 23975(-599)
merged 17(-3) 106(-3) 402(-8) 1640(-15)
abandoned 6(0) 26(-1) 77(-1) 314(1)
own commits 19(-3) 123(-16) 466(-10) 1534(-2)
review commits 0(0) 0(0) 0(0) 0(0)
+ easyHack statistics:
needsDevEval 55(55) needsUXEval 1(1) cleanup_comments 222(222)
total 273(273) assigned 19(19) open 197(197)
+ top 10 contributors:
Gelmini, Andrea made 46 patches in 1 month, and 484 patches in 1 year
Rizal Muttaqin made 8 patches in 1 month, and 26 patches in 1 year
Jim Raykowski made 8 patches in 1 month, and 84 patches in 1 year
Illarionov, Arkadiy made 7 patches in 1 month, and 29 patches in 1 year
Rahul Gurung made 7 patches in 1 month, and 7 patches in 1 year
Kacper Kasper made 5 patches in 1 month, and 10 patches in 1 year
Balazs Varga made 4 patches in 1 month, and 9 patches in 1 year
Samuel Thibault made 3 patches in 1 month, and 48 patches in 1 year
Manuj Vashist made 2 patches in 1 month, and 11 patches in 1 year
Páder, Rezső made 2 patches in 1 month, and 2 patches in 1 year
+ top 10 reviewers:
Timar, Andras made 130 review comments in 1 month, and 846 in 1 year
Vajna, Miklos made 129 review comments in 1 month, and 1222 in 1 year
McNamara, Caolán made 120 review comments in 1 month, and 938 in 1 year
Michael Stahl made 117 review comments in 1 month, and 553 in 1 year
Behrens, Thorsten made 115 review comments in 1 month, and 1534 in 1 year
Grandin, Noel made 115 review comments in 1 month, and 1376 in 1 year
Adolfo Jayme Barrientos made 96 review comments in 1 month, and 908 in 1 year
Nabet, Julien made 96 review comments in 1 month, and 971 in 1 year
Holešovský, Jan made 72 review comments in 1 month, and 1152 in 1 year
Xisco Faulí made 64 review comments in 1 month, and 328 in 1 year
+ big CONGRATULATIONS to contributors who have at least 1 merged patch, since last report:
Caio B. SIlva caioboffo@gmail.com

* Commit Access
+ we normally look through people's commits & review them (Michael)
+ some promising candidates for next week
+ anyone can commit ~anything to gerrit without permission.

* Developer Certification (Stephan/Bjoern/Kendy/Thorsten)
+ sleeping ~5 weeks.
+ we have a developer certification programme
+ started very early - in Berlin conference
+ 4 people on the committee - monitoring commits
+ one step beyond getting commit access.
+ if you keep doing good work, and are present on
IRC to discuss, help, mentor
+ approach people to ask them if they want to appear on the
webpage
+ so if people want a quality paid-for fix, can find a pro.
+ other sorts of certification for migrators, trainers
+ Italo does most of the organization here - poke him if
you're interested.
+ don't need to pay for it - you can't buy it, show your work.

* Jenkins / CI update (Christian)
+ we look at the problems there were in the last week ...
+ many people at the conference who submit patches
+ 1/2 the patches we normally have this week.
+ still have issues with Windows build instability
+ apart from that business as usual.
+ screenshot builders? (Thorsten)
+ not included in the jenkins status (Cloph)
+ https://dev-www.libreoffice.org/tmp/gerrit_180920.html
+ tests failed in last seven days ...

* Screenshot builders (Thorsten)
+ a unit-test target that makes screenshots
+ from all dialogs, for LibreOffice in your local translation
+ 100's / 1000's of screenshots from all dialogs
+ if you're a help author, want to write some slides, look there
+ a weekly build-job that builds that; currently failing.
+ should be a chron job, with some HTTP accessible server
+ not yet included (Cloph)
+ localized screenshots
+ mails were refused - they were too large.
+ who owns improving this ? (Michael)
+ should focus more on this, and get results from it (Cloph)
+ people often don't feel responsible.
+ plan to have a resource availble for download
+ currently not exporting screenshots.
+ would it help to give visibility cf. sanitizers in tinderbox (Miklos)
+ UbiSan / ASAN builds (Stephan)
+ often do 'make screenshot' - it gives even more coverage.
+ possibly the tinderbox is not doing this.
+ only run once per day - doesn't work if it takes longer.
+ Jenkins screenshot builder - runs on Windows (Stephan)
AI: + add that to the sanitizer builds (Stephan)
AI: + add screenshot builder to basic build stats (Cloph)

* Some Windows boxes get stuck in CppunitTests (Cloph)
+ building all languages on master now
+ Jenkins builds get killed then, tinderbox ones don’t
+ means to debug the hung builds.

* l10n (Sophie)
+ missing her.

* need to discuss CentOS7 ? (Thorsten)
+ had a baseline discussion wrt. compilers
+ using the latest cool C++ features; dev-tools set 7
+ provides it for the old base-line CentOS6 base.
+ should we up the base-line completely.
+ CentOS6 since LibreOffice 5.0
+ with CentOS6 - can build gtk3 & KDE5 without hassle.
+ also provides newer dev-tool chains.
+ will be around ~5 years old when 6.2 releases
+ about the oldest linux most people use.
+ down-side is, same story for dev toolchain for CentOS6
+ but no real 32bit support anymore
+ same/similar story as for CentOS6 (Cloph)
+ 32bit on CentOS6 - provided by an SIG
+ already do this for CentOS6
+ at first was skeptical of this
+ in the meantime, seen the SIG's work.
+ not a real issue
+ few linux users that download from TDF - mostly distros (Michael)
+ only some fraction of users using old linux (Thorsten)
+ are we sure that the gtk/Qt versions are new enough ? (Cloph)
+ didn't check that (Thorsten)
+ Qt5 and gtk3 are available - but didn't check.
=> consensus that we update the baseline.
AI: + setup the VM (Cloph)
+ already have a machine doing the update.
+ finally Jenkins will be running on the same baseline (Miklos)

* Compiler baselines (Stephan)
+ we dropped old gcc 4.8 which Munich liked
+ would like to bump the gcc baseline on CentOS using a
newer compiler than the base system.
+ moving to gcc 7 (gcc 8 is the latest)
+ gcc 7 has good coverage.
+ the dev-tool sets on CentOS6 have a stdc++ issue
that breaks the build
+ not going to push a new tool-set out for this
+ perhaps not necessary to work-around anymore when we have CentOS7
+ when we go to gcc7 - we have lots of C++17 features
+ we want to use these routinely in the code-base.
+ so - Windows latest 2017 compilers also have C++17
+ but - many different versions of VS2017
+ the latest versions are good, older ones are bad.
+ configure - just checks for any version of VS2017
+ but we'll need to make that more specific to recent version 15.8(?)
+ have a patch on gerrit that checks for 15.7 (a good compromise)
+ we'll enable this.
+ anyone who uses Windows to build may need to update their VS version
+ MS apparently eager to get people to upgrade anyway
+ this brings us to Clang - on Mac, (also on various Linux)
+ Apple have their own version of clang
+ that doesn't relate anymore to up-stream.
+ what they have in SDK 10.12 - a base-line that
looks like Clang 3.9
+ gives us some C++ 17
+ could go higher - but clang/Mac is the blocker.
+ have some mac tinderboxes using 3.8 - need to bump them to 3.9
+ what features do we get ? (Stephan)
+ things around std::move
+ structured bindings
+ fn's returning std::pair / struct - can give names to elements
+ nicer than '.first' and '.second' - more readable
+ features for constexpression, and others ...
+ lets start with this slowly (Thorsten)
+ to make back-porting easier.
+ just checked with CentOS7 - does have right Qt, gcc for us.
+ on Windows - VS was not compatible (Ash)
+ incompability with older versions ?
+ between two different versions - not an issue (Cloph)
+ Jenkins also have VS 2015 installed
+ problem when VS 2017 has some compat issue
+ Jenkins builds don't switch back/forward in history.
+ for dev bisecting may run into issues.
+ easier to compiler older code with newer compilers
+ compiled older code already with latest VS (Stephan)
+ seem not to have code that only compilers with older ones.

* QA update (Xisco)

<out of date stats ...>
+ we normally look at unconfirmed stats: how is triage going
+ for the last ~year between 400-550 bugs unconfirmed
+ depending where we are in the relase cycle.

+ UNCONFIRMED: 496 (-1)
+ enhancements: 59 (+2)
+ needsUXEval: 4 (+3)
+ haveBackTrace: 9 (+0)
+ needsDevAdvice: 32 (+2)
+ documentation: 2 (-1)
+ android: 14 (+0)

+ 2nd part - we look at most pressing issues:
+ rule of thumb: a regression
+ a recent one that is bisected: we know who created the fun.
+ particularly crashes in production releases
+ give them more visibility to encourage fixing faster.
+ problem affecting usability ... try to raise priority

[ somewhat out of date data here ]:

+ Most pressing bugs:
+ New
+ Crash in: SwIndex::SwIndex(SwIndexReg * const,long)
+ https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=119989

+ Older
+ Calc: Crash when cutting some content
+ https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=118707
+ Henry Castro

+ Fixed:

* QA stats
+ https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/page.cgi?id=weekly-bug-summary.html
+164 -19 (-128) overall)
many thanks to the top bug squashers:
Buovjaga 17
Xisco Faulí 12
Caolán McNamara 6
Telesto 5
Heiko Tietze 5
Thomas Lendo 5
V Stuart Foote 4
Mike Kaganski 4
Adolfo Jayme 4
Timur 4

+ top 10 bugs reporters:
Tamás Zolnai 14
Telesto 14
Gabor Kelemen 11
Thomas Lendo 9
counterbug 5
Xisco Faulí 4
kabilo 2
Drew Jensen 2
Buovjaga 2
brian.bj.parker99 2

+ top 10 bugs fixers:
McNamara, Caolán 6
Tietze, Heiko 3
Adolfo Jayme Barrientos 3
Xisco Faulí 3
Németh, László 3
Benes, Luke 2
Budea, Áron 2
Henschel, Regina 2
Vajna, Miklos 2
Muhammet Kara 2

+ top 10 bugs confirmers:
Buovjaga 37
Xisco Faulí 18
Raal 8
Alex Thurgood 7
Thomas Lendo 7
BogdanB 5
Drew Jensen 4
Telesto 4
Brinzing, Oliver 4
Henschel, Regina 4


* Highest-Priority bugs (aka "MABs"):
+ http://bit.ly/2lJAAJI
6.0 : 2/48 - 4 % (+2)
5.4 : 1/39 - 2 % (+0)
5.3 : 1/53 - 1 % (+0)
5.2 : 1/41 - 2 % (+0)
5.1 : 0/35 - 0 % (+0)
5.0 : 1/63 - 1 % (-2)
4.4 : 1/76 - 1 % (+0)
4.3 : 2/73 - 2 % (+0)
4.2 : 5/134 - 3 % (+0)
4.1 : 3/84 - 3 % (+0)
4.0 : 4/83 - 4 % (+0)
old : 19/257 - 7 % (+0)


* Bisected bugs open: keyword 'bisected'
+ more accurate - down to a single commit.
+ http://bit.ly/2dyIfDy
+ 585/2584 576/2559 577/2541 574/2521 570/2498 565/2469 564/2444

done by:
Xisco Faulí 14
Buovjaga 4
Raal 2
Telesto 2
Budea, Áron 2
Kaganski, Mike 1
Drew Jensen 1

* Bibisected bugs open: keyword 'bibisected'
+ http://bit.ly/2cSCXlS
+ 758/3327 750/3300 751/3279 748/3259 745/3236 741/3204 739/3175

done by:
Xisco Faulí 14
Buovjaga 5
Budea, Áron 3
Raal 2
Telesto 2
Kaganski, Mike 1
Drew Jensen 1


* all bugs tagged with 'regression'
+ 1002(+6) bugs open of 7584(+31) total 8(+1) high prio.

done by:
Buovjaga 7
Xisco Faulí 7
Raal 3
Telesto 3
perie_gut 2
Alex Thurgood 2
Benes, Luke 2
Timur 1
Dieter Praas 1
Kaganski, Mike 1


* ~Component count net * high severity regressions
+ http://bit.ly/1HWHb3E
Writer - 3(+1)
LibreOffice - 3(+0)
Calc - 2(+0)

by OS:
Windows - 2(+0)
Mac OS X - 0(+0)
All - 6(+1)
Linux - 0(+0)


* ~Component count net * all regressions
+ http://bit.ly/1BUdI8i
Writer: other - 252(+6)
Calc - 171(-2)
Impress - 112(+4)
Writer: docx filter - 70(-3)
LibreOffice - 66(+1)
UI - 45(+1)
Draw - 37(-1)
Borders - 36(+0)
Base - 35(+1)
Writer: perf - 33(+1)
Writer: doc filter - 33(+0)
graphics stack - 30(+0)
Writer: other filter - 26(+0)
filters and storage - 23(+0)
Chart - 23(-1)
Crashes - 20(-2)
Printing and PDF export - 16(+0)
BASIC - 14(+0)
framework - 3(+0)
Extensions - 1(+0)
sdk - 1(+0)
Linguistic - 1(+0)
Formula Editor - 1(+0)

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: projects+unsubscribe@global.libreoffice.org
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/projects/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.