Could the missing desktop app become a showstopper? Telegram is available as standalone app and
Telepathy can also handle this protocol (not sure about Pidgin). Thomas collected a couple of
requirements in the KDE chat what a messenger should be able to do. I would rate some points
differently, so the avatar is a nice-to-have and stickers a contradiction, and suggested to run a
Kano survey like I did for KGet in [2]. But the list is interesting anyway.

[1] https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2017q3/003693.html
[2] https://user-prompt.com/using-the-kano-method-to-prioritize-requirements/