People already on Telegram are far more than people willing to move to a
different platform like RocketChat (which I have installed, to discover
that nobody was using it).

Telegram groups are used for discussions, and it looks like there is a
majority of people more familiar with Telegram than with other tools
(and this has nothing to do with TDF team, but with the habits of people).

IMHO, we have to reach out to people, and not force them upfront to
switch to what we consider a better option. Once they have started to
contribute, we can ask them to move to our preferred platform, which is
a mailing list (for marketing). This is what happens today.

Marketing coordination happens on the private marketing mailing list,
where people are invited once they show some willingness to help (but
then the reality is that these people are more active on Telegram than
on the mailing list).

I use IRC to communicate with other team members, although I do not like
at all the system (independently from the client, as I have tested them
all, to discover that they are developed by developers for developers,
and not for people with a different background and mindset).

The fact that we respect people willing to use IRC instead of Telegram
is confirmed by bridges which have been created between the two. Bridges
are available for general discussions, QA and design, so for every group
where they are needed.

By the way, if I had to use what my family and friends are using, I
would switch to POTS and text messages, as this is what old people in
industries such as communications and marketing are using (nobody is on
Telegram or Slack, a few are using FB Messenger and even less WhatsApp
and Skype).