Le 28/01/2015 08:09, Rimas Kudelis a écrit :

On 2015 m. sausio 28 d. 08:10:38 EET, jonathon
<toki.kantoor@gmail.com> wrote:

On 28/01/15 05:18, Rimas Kudelis wrote:

I really don't see a revision of all existing strings as a
requirement to start reviewing newly added ones.

At some point in time that review has to be done.  To minimize the
overall workload, it is easier, and simpler, to do it before
reviewing newly added strings, than afterwards. (For starters,
doing it afterwards means having to review those newly added
strings at least twice, and maybe thrice.)

You're right, but if the choice is between no reviews at all and
reviews of new strings only, which would you choose? It's go for the
latter.

Especially if you are a native English speaker and have a style
guide
at hand.

Just as the English language has never met it word that it has not
adopted as it's own, so it has never met a grammatical construct
that it has not adapted and mutilated. One direct consequence of
both those facets of acquisition, is that it is incredibly
difficult to write a sentence in English that is grammatically
incoherent, but extremely easy to write a sentence that
grammatically means the opposite of what was intended.

IOW, that certain string might be "clear, concise and
grammatically, syntactically and typographically correct", but
mean something other than intended, because the vocabulary is
usually used to mean something else elsewhere.

Let's add "semantically correct" or "contextually correct" to my list
of requirements then. :-)

BTW, when you say "style guide", which specific one do you mean?

The one you're looking for, assuming it exists. If not, or could be a
combination of Gnome HIG and any American English style guide we (the
LibO community) would deem acceptable and meeting our needs (e.g. The
Chicago Manual of Style).

I still have the one for French but it's copyrighted Sun anyway (from
2006). Gnome HIG contains a lot of information that we can use easily.

Cheers
Sophie

Tel:+33683901545
Co-founder - Release coordinator