On 2015 m. sausio 28 d. 08:10:38 EET, jonathon <toki.kantoor@gmail.com> wrote:

On 28/01/15 05:18, Rimas Kudelis wrote:

I really don't see a revision of all existing strings as a
requirement to start reviewing newly added ones.

At some point in time that review has to be done.  To minimize the
overall workload, it is easier, and simpler, to do it before reviewing
newly added strings, than afterwards. (For starters, doing it
afterwards
means having to review those newly added strings at least twice, and
maybe thrice.)

You're right, but if the choice is between no reviews at all and reviews of new strings only, which
would you choose? It's go for the latter.

Especially if you are a native English speaker and have a style guide
at hand.

Just as the English language has never met it word that it has not
adopted as it's own, so it has never met a grammatical construct that
it
has not adapted and mutilated. One direct consequence of both those
facets of acquisition, is that it is incredibly difficult to write a
sentence in English that is grammatically incoherent, but extremely
easy
to write a sentence that grammatically means the opposite of what was
intended.

IOW, that certain string might be "clear, concise and
grammatically, syntactically and typographically correct", but mean
something other than intended, because the vocabulary is usually used
mean something else elsewhere.

Let's add "semantically correct" or "contextually correct" to my list of requirements then. :-)

BTW, when you say "style guide", which specific one do you mean?

The one you're looking for, assuming it exists. If not, or could be a combination of Gnome HIG and
any American English style guide we (the LibO community) would deem acceptable and meeting our
needs (e.g. The Chicago Manual of Style).

--
Rimas