[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[libreoffice-projects] minutes of ESC call ...


* Present:
+ Lionel, Stephan, Eike, Miklos, Robinson, Jacobo, Andras, Markus,
Michael M., Ptyl, Cloph, Norbert, Florian, Bjoern, Jan-Marek,
Muthu, Michael S., Adam

* Completed Action Items:
+ look at regressions associated with a SUSE bugzilla bugfix (Timar)
[ went through them, but no low hanging fruit, but no need to access
original documents there, for most there are unit tests. Will check
all are public ]
+ look at sorting spreadsheet / use-cases etc. (Eike)
cf. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=108990 ]
ongoing, a mix of real bugs, wrong expectations and misconception about references
[ worked through the document, and added a comment to the bug,
cherry-picked some fixes missing on the 4.2.x branch, fixed
2-3 cases on all other branches.
Suggest we do a 4.2.8 last-release ].

* Pending Action Items:
+ start building bibisect repositories (Robinson)
[ works on his local machine, but ... needs access to Bertha ]
AI: get Robinson access to Bertha etc. (Cloph)
+ see also: https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/597#note-21

* Bugzilla migration update (Robinson)
+ going well
+ http://vm150.documentfoundation.org/
+ please test out your tools vs. that.
+ bugzilla notification - needed for IRC & git commit daemons
+ can we login ? (Miklos)
+ all passwords need a reset.
+ if anyone wants admin access - mail Robinson
+ Aiming for 3rd week in January - Wed / Jan 14th
+ why not when people are not using it ? (Norbert)
+ happy to have another day (Robinson)
+ presumably a weekend-night of down-time will screw
over fewer fdo users (Norbert)
+ Aim for calendar week 3 (Florian)
+ so we have infra etc. available end of week 2 etc.
+ now safe to go -> if we can move forward; reach out to
Tollef, and arrange a date with him.
AI: + reach out to Tollef to organise a date/time (Robinson)
+ load-testing ? (Michael)
+ handful of people on the current VM, the
file-system is not optimized.
+ do we have stats on the fdo load ? (Michael)
AI: + will get from Tollef (Robinson)
+ do we have the web-page / password reset done ? (Norbert)
+ see an un-pretty, but working notification (Robinson)
+ needs to just have enough to grok the migration (Norbert)
+ says "we've migrated bugzilla" etc. (Robinson)
+ Testing BSA
+ needs to be fixed vs. current version of bugzilla on fdo
+ current BSA is broken vs. fdo - due to upgrade of bugzilla
a few weeks ago.
+ their HTML layout changed, and all scripts that parsed that
are broken (Markus)
+ best to switch to XML-RPC
+ BSA - already use XML-RPC but doesn't work (Cloph)
+ will setup a test system so we can get that fixed (Cloph)

* Release Engineering update (Cloph)
+ 4.2.8 release
AI: + come up with a proposal timing-wise (Cloph)
+ next week 4.4 Beta 2, etc. every week has a release
+ better to have it in the 4.4 beta phase
+ Eike is confident.
+ plan a 1-RC release.
+ have been pushing that out to Ubuntu/PPA (Bjoern)
+ lack of 'murder' screaming out there.
=> late this week or early next week.
+ can we ask people to test ? (Robinson)
+ always pushed to the dev-builds server & announced (Cloph)
+ lets not invite re-opening wounds (Bjoern)
+ its a ton better in its current state (Michael)
+ Cudos to Eike (Bjoern)
+ 4.3.5 RC1 status
+ currently synching to the mirrors, can be announced to the public
after the call.
+ 4.4.0 Beta 2
+ ensure everything committed to master is cherry-picked to 4.4 branch
+ string freeze is with RC1 - due in week 51 - Dec 15th.
+ Lateish Feature collection:
+ OpenGL rendering for Windows by default for good drivers (various)
+ Blacklisting for Linux and Windows (Markus)
[ mostly done, Linux in master, Windows in-progress,
currently porting the Mozilla code here; but mostly
tested; comes from Mozilla - with some tweaks - eg.
remove DirectX bits; switched string classes etc.
Lots of registry lookups ].
+ OpenGL/CL JPEG de-compression to texture (jpeg-turbo patch)
[ patch pending here ].
+ images*.zip layering ? (Kendy)
+ saves 5Mb of zipped installation size, we open the zip
files and do the fallback at run-time.
+ packimages & impimagetree.cxx bits (Kendy)
+ cold-start ? (Michael)
+ loads the zip file when needed (Kendy)
+ can squash Industrial into tango to save (Kendy)
AI: + check Matus' startup performance measurement (Kendy)
=> leave on master for now (Kendy)
+ sidebar (stripe) enabled in Calc (Kendy)
+ in addition to the re-work of writer toolbar, calc has been
re-worked; some icons hidden and show only in the side-bar.
+ not currently enabled for calc, want to enable the collapsed
version by default
+ don't care so much (Markus)
don't want the expanded sidebar by default in writer (Kendy)
+ happy too (Eike)
+ can revert in the beta-phase if problems (Kendy)
=> merge it.
+ back-port Miklos' fix for the unit test too.
+ Android / iOS Remote
+ will update the support library
+ uses current version of Gradle
+ will release a version with updated translations

* Crashtest update (Markus)
+ migrated to new host - 32 cores
+ numbers updated around once per day.
+ expecting new hardware before Christmas.
+ DOCX export regression just now (2.5k)
+ XLS export quite bad currently - 500 at the moment.
+ RTF import is a problem.
+ at some point need to add plotting to the scripts to graph this.
+ could we tinderbox-alike this (Miklos)
+ spam all people committing in the commit range
+ bug load & re-save the ODF - with duplicate attribute (Michael S)
+ added some assertions to the class where this is stored.
+ now can crash on import.
+ can put the fix in 4.2.8

* Munich hackfest retrospective
+ Jmux spent the time mostly cooking ...
+ food was awesome (Kendy)
+ Moggi / DavidO / Kendy there
+ Jonathan Riddell there too ...
+ started some KDE5 vclplug porting action
+ otherwise - some fun hacking here & there.
+ three LiMux students there, helped to mentor them.
+ any problems building it ? (Eike)
+ all Debian/KDE guys anyway (Markus)
+ Jonathan - built with icecream & -> 1.5hrs.

* Tokio/Kanto Hackfest retrospective
+ http://naruoga-en.blogspot.de/2014/11/joint-meeting-of-kanto-libreoffice.html
+ great work going on in Japan, used VMs to track-down bugs too.

* Hackfests (Bjoern)
+ initial scheduling for 2015:
+ FOSDEM, Bruessels, Belgium -- February 2015 contact: Fridrich
+ Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain -- March, 2015 contact: Bjoern
+ setup for GSOC etc.
+ Cambridge, UK -- May 2015 contact: Michael
+ ... more planning later ...

* commit access (Kendy/Markus)
+ added people:
+ Jonathan Riddell
+ doing KDE 5 work
+ Jay Philips
+ icons, menus, toolbars, string improvements
+ added admin:
+ Kendy

* C++11 on master towards LO 4.5 (Stephan)
+ see thread starting at <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2014-November/064785.html>
+ switch to MSVC 2013?
+ done a build - it works nicely (Stephan & Kendy)
+ stay with GCC 4.6 for Munich ? (JMux)
+ don't want to maintain own toolchain, will switch to 4.5 next year
if need to update, will need to provide their own toolchain
+ prefer to stay on 4.6
+ is it not possible to have 2x gcc's installed in parallel ? (Kendy)
+ which Ubuntu as a base-image ? (Bjoern)
+ 12.4 LTS - expect an update end of next year.
+ the bigger win here is from MSVC2013 (Stephan)
+ many of things are not in MS anyway
+ missing template aliases
- now have explicit classes forwarding to containers
+ eg. class around a std::vector with parts of the template
arguments filled in.
+ give some days for tinderbox machines to update & then require MSVC2013 (Stephan)
+ lets do it as last-time:
+ stick with gcc 4.6 for now until people badly need a new feature
+ checking for some gcc / toolchain back-ports for Precise (Bjoern)
+ done by the gcc maintainers.
+ Visual Studio Community (Michael S)
+ free of charge for Open Source projects
+ does that include the ATL header files etc. ?
+ according to the docs it does (Kendy)
+ any implication for Mac (Norbert)
+ Mac is Clang and has been ahead for ages (Stephan)

* Fold URE into LO (Stephan)
+ Already done on Mac
+ Benefits for Windows (one less place to find DLLs via PATH)
+ Harmonize all platforms again
+ lovely work (Michael)

+ indeed (Bjoern)

+ we don't know of anyone using URE without an office (Michael S)
+ no-one is known; but we can still keep it functional in its own package (Stephan)
+ just locate it in libreoffice/program not URE/bin etc.

* UX Update (Kendy)
+ to avoid misunderstandings, some explanation about the Design team :-)
+ what the Design team is:
+ a set of "design hackers" - people who like to improve things around usability & design
+ a platform for conflict resolution
+ what the Design team is _not_:
+ a set of people who would like to manage other people
+ works like the development
+ if an idea proves to be wrong, it is reverted
+ and if there's a conflict, it has to be resolved quickly; no bikeshedding
+ many things are measurable, no need for guessing
+ "don't let perfect be enemy of the good" is applied - so don't be afraid to improve UX yourself
+ if you are missing a shortcut, add it
+ if you need to create a dialog, create it
+ it's good if you then also add it to the http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/design
+ under the "the last week's UX changes"
+ but I'm going through the commits so should see the important changes
+ and if you let us know, we can apply the HIG, check the wording, etc. for you
+ meeting bits
+ nothing of huge importance
+ discuss: creating some mode of 'simple toolbar' - instead of lots of items,
having a single, simple toolbar (with the possibility ot switch between the
full-featured and simple mode)
+ easily do-able; but is it a good idea.

* Bughunting sessions (Robinson)
+ last weekend on IRC: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugHunting_Session_4.4.0.0
+ Had ~100 bugs filed during the event
+ MozTrap had 57 test runs, and 6 bugs were found
+ A big thanks to everyone who helped out!

* FOSDEM bits
+ https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM15
+ 20 minute slots (good to collect talks)
+ please consider filing by mid. December !
+ Volunteer needed to book / run the hackfest afterwards.
+ who did it the last year? - Mirek
AI + Cor had some good relationship with the BetaCowork? - ask him (Kendy)

* Certification (Stephan/Bjoern/Kendy)
+ page updated.

* REFERENCEOOOMAJORMINOR (Bjoern)
+ cf. http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=905db8babf00ffd8741f195d2faac5f23f829a6d
+ accidentally didn't change this -only on instdir, not the install-set
+ backport to 4.4? what about 4.3/4.2?
+ see http://skyfromme.wordpress.com/2014/05/12/messagebox-api-change/ for context
AI: + back-port it to 4.4 (Bjoern)
+ everyone fine (Michael S, Stephan)

* Jenkins update (Norbert)
+ not much progress this week

* QA (Robinson)
+ UNCONFIRMED slid up to 640 due to distraction of NEEDINFO work
+ still in good shape
+ backlog decreasing
+ interesting crasher:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86552
+ bibsect ?

* QA stats:
+ https://bugs.freedesktop.org/page.cgi?id=weekly-bug-summary.html
+173 -140 (+33 overall)
many thanks to the top bug squashers:
Beluga 26
Caolán McNamara 11
Adolfo Jayme 10
Maxim Monastirsky 10
raal 7
Michael Stahl 6
tommy27 6
Joel Madero 6
Jay Philips 5

* Open 4.5 MAB
+ https://bugs.freedesktop.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=86696&hide_resolved=1

* Open 4.4 MAB
+ 5/19 4/18 3/17 3/16 3/16 4/16 5/15 4/14 3/12 3/12 3/12 7/12
26% 22% 17%
+ https://bugs.freedesktop.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=79641&hide_resolved=1

* Open 4.3 MAB
+ 33/90 19/73 17/65 16/64 16/64 15/63 16/63 16/60 17/61 16/60 14/59 15/58
36% 26% 26% 25% 18% 23% 25% 26% 27% 26% 23% 25%
+ https://bugs.freedesktop.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=75025&hide_resolved=1

* Open 4.2 MAB
+ 63/255 74/261 83/266 81/263 84/262 82/260 80/260 82/260 86/257 88/257
24% 28% 31% 30% 32% 31% 30% 31% 33% 35%
+ https://bugs.freedesktop.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=65675&hide_resolved=1

* Bibisected bugs open: whiteboard 'bibsected'
+ 190/481 189/475 190/470 173/446 170/441 161/427 153/413 154/410
+ http://bit.ly/VQfF3Q

* all bugs tagged with 'regression'
+ 486(+2) bugs open of 3226(+15) total
* ~Component count net *
Writer - 140 (-2)
Spreadsheet - 109 (+3)
Crashes - 31 (+0)
Presentation - 30 (-1)
Database - 28 (+0)
Libreoffice - 27 (+1)
UI - 23 (-2)
Drawing - 22 (+0)
Graphics - 21 (+0)
Borders - 20 (+0)
Filters - 16 (+0)
Chart - 15 (+1)
Print / PDF - 14 (+0)
BASIC - 5 (+0)
Formula - 3 (+0)
Linguistic - 3 (+0)
Installation - 3 (+0)
Extensions - 3 (+0)
sdk - 1 (+0)
framework - 1 (+0)
Impress Remote - 0 (+0)
+ http://bit.ly/15mM2Yn - for devs ( no NEEDINFO / UNCONFIRMED )

--
michael.meeks@collabora.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: projects+unsubscribe@global.libreoffice.org
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/projects/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.