LibreOffice Weekly News #5 waiting for reviews

Hi *,

I've just finished to write the fifth edition of LOWN. [1]

The latter is waiting for your reviews.

If I got no complains in the next 48h, I'll advertise it on social
networks pinging some news magazine holders like Michael Larabel
(Phoronix).

For those wondering why I've still not published any summarised
contents from LibOCon yet, is that putting the streams and slides on a
dedicated pages is still a work in progress by the conference
organisers. I'm thus waiting for them.

Regards,

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOWN/5

- --
William Gathoye
<william@gathoye.be>

Good morning William, *,

I've just finished to write the fifth edition of LOWN. [1]

cool, thank you for your work :slight_smile:

The latter is waiting for your reviews.

I corrected a view spelling errors (I hope, it is OK for you. If
not, feel free to change it back ... :wink: ), but stumbled upon some
passages, which are not clear to me, or sounds a little bit strange
(as I am not a native English speaker, I may be wrong ... :wink: ),
sorry ... :frowning:

1.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOWN/5#New_project_from_Document_Liberation:
<quote>
As a reminder, The Document Liberation Project aims to provide an
ability to read back outdated or closed/proprietary file formats.
</quote>

Would it not be better to just use "open" instead of "read back"
here? So the sentence above would be
<quote>
As a reminder, The Document Liberation Project aims to provide an
ability to open outdated or closed/proprietary file formats.
</quote>
. Or was your intention to tell the reader, that the DLP is
developing libraries for LO and other projects to create, open and
edit outdated document formats?

The same applies to the "read back" in the next paragraph ... :wink:

2. https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOWN/5#Android_version
<quote>
Companies able to respect the requirements described in the call
for offers are pleased to apply and provide a timing and cost
estimation.
</quote>

Not sure, if "are pleased" is the right term here. From a gut
feeling, I would use "are welcome". Then the above sentence would
become
<quote>
Companies able to respect the requirements described in the call
for offers are welcome to apply and provide a timing and cost
estimation.
</quote>
. But as I am not a native speaker ... :wink:

3.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOWN/5#Nearly_the_end_of_the_German_comments_translation
<quote>
This is actually difficult to predict if we are still far or not,
since as far as we know, no one has computed how far we are with
translating german comments.
</quote>

Sounds a little bit strange to me, sorry ... :frowning: Maybe
<quote>
This is actually difficult to predict if we are still far away from
the end of this work or not, since as far as we know, no one has
computed how far we are with translating German comments.
</quote>
. Maybe we can improve it further with a little help of a native
speaker ... :wink:

4. Same place, next sentence:
<quote>
If you want help, a script bin/find-german-comments is still
available to locate in the code these German comments.
</quote>

I would rearrange it a little bit:
<quote>
If you want help, a script bin/find-german-comments is still
available to locate these German comments in the code.
</quote>
. Any objections ;?

5.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOWN/5#Some_news_for_OS_X_builds
<quote>
Since retina displays are now the default on OS X (excepted on the
MacBook Air) and the 64 bits are now default for LibreOffice, the
flags --enable-retina and --enable-64bits will be dropped and me mde
the default
</quote>

Here I am completely at a loss ... :frowning: What should "me mde the
default" mean? I read your linked
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2014-September/063265.html, but I am still not sure, what you wanted to
tell your readers there ... :frowning: And I would put these "--
enable-$something" flags in "<code>" tags, as you did on some other
passages ... :wink:

Maybe I will proofread it further later this weekend, if I find any
other unclear description, spelling errors and the like, if you like
... :wink:

Sorry for the inconvenience and have a nice day
Thomas.

Android version:

"Companies ... are pleased to apply"
->
"Companies ... are welcomed to apply"

"This call for offers is valid until February 2015."
Nope. That is a target 'delivery'... just drop this part.
the deadline to apply is "no later than October 6, 2014."

Norbert

"All OS X tinderboxes require a fresh build"

That is not news.
I mean even if that were true, that would be true only for the few
hours after the concerned patch was pushed.. by the time someone read
that it si completely obsolete.. and in general of no interest to
anyone but someone operating a tinderbox.. which by then surely knows
about it.

in
"Some news for OS X builds"
" if no explicit --with-macosx-version-min-required configure flag is
explicitly used" -> drop one of the 'explicit' here (or even both :slight_smile:
)

"Yet 7 new contributors to the LibreOffice project! Welcome to them!"
->
"We welcomed 7 new contributors to the LibreOffice project:"

In general I'm not sure about the section about when people posted
their license statement and when they posted their first patch...
for one thing having patch in _whithout_ a license is 'not a good
thing(tm)'.. so we should not brag about it :slight_smile:

"

Wanted: team coordinator dead or alive (preferably alive):
That one is just a wish but... I'd rather we do not talk (in good, bad
or neutral) about AOO in LWN, as much as possible.

note: references 51-58 are missing

Hi,

[...]

"Yet 7 new contributors to the LibreOffice project! Welcome to them!"
->
"We welcomed 7 new contributors to the LibreOffice project:"

And I would say ...7 new contributors to the development team, there are
new contributors to the project not cited here.

Kind regards
Sophie

True.. point taken :slight_smile:

Hi,

I'm Robert Antoni Buj i Gelonch (AKA Robert Buj) and I sent the license
statement on 12th June, 2014 [1].
Please, could you remove "for who we have not found any license statement
yet" from the sentence "Robert Antoni Buj i Gelonch, for who we have not
found any license statement yet, ..."

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2014-June/061772.html

Thanks,
Robert

I've just finished to write the fifth edition of LOWN. [1]

Very nice work, thanks :slight_smile:

The latter is waiting for your reviews.

just one observation: citation numbers in the text go up to 58, but the last
reference on the page bottom is 50, so a couple of refs seem missing

Nino

[1]<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOWN/5#Wanted:team_coordinator_dead_or_alive.28preferably_alive.29>

I am outside today,
I will comment later or tomorrow. Thanks for the LOWN!

Best,

Charles.

Hi *,

Thanks everyone I have taken care of all your
requests/comments/suggestions/improvements.

Didn't know I had made so much typos btw. Thanks for having corrected
them!

Regards,

- --
William Gathoye
<william@gathoye.be>

Hi, indeed, I did find you at first search on the developers list [1].

As you are advertised there as "Robert Buj", could you keep that
naming consistent in the whole LibreOffice infrastructure?

In your mails you are known as "Robert Antoni" and on gerrit [2] as
"Robert Antoni Buj i Gelonch", this is causing confusion IMHO. Could
you therefore reconfigure your mail client, and ask a rename for
Gerrit. AFAIK, this is possible on Gerrit but require admin privileges.

Thanks!

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Developers
[2]
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/q/owner:"Robert+Antoni+Buj+i+Gelonch+%3Crobert.buj%40gmail.com%3E",n,z

- --
William Gathoye
<william@gathoye.be>

Hi :slight_smile:
It is a wiki-page. It's actually faster and easier for people to do the
edits themselves.

How can someone possibly come up with the missing 8 references ? How
can anyone but William know what link he intended to use ? It seems to
me that you did not either read the reviews or give much though about
it before belittling _that_ work. (yeah that is the review-content of
the email you _top-posted_ on).

The purpose of the review round is to fact check the LOWN before 'publication'
William is doing a great job.. but so much data means that some of it
is bound to come up wrong....

William, as the Editor and main contributor of that publication,
requested a review.. Review does not means got fix it, it means check
and give feed-back.
Of course everyone is invited to help William compile LOWN, but in my
mind, pre-publication 'review' should be in the form of feed back, so
that the Editor is aware of what is in the published document, even
maybe compile an address book of people to ask review or explanation
from over time... you know, like good journalist do when preparing a
piece. Reading wiki diff is really not fun, much less fun than reading
emailed feedback.

Bear in mind too that the current 'Wiki' format is just 'because it is
convenient'... I can imagine, especially if William can gather
support and contributor around the idea of LOWN, that a better
support, more stable and reliable, be chosen for 'publication'. maybe
in the form of a tdf-branded dedicated blog or some other media...

While so many people are picking such tiny detail to correct

That is what happen when someone ask for 'review'... although your
conception of 'tiny' is quite peculiar...

Proof-reading, if
thought necessary, should really be done by a 2nd person,

No, it should be done by as many person as necessary, and most
importantly by a set of person that can competently talk about the
different topics under review.

Point in case is Robert Antoni review. no other '2nd person' would
have known better than himself if he had sent a license statement and
point to it in the ML.

Norbert

Hi :slight_smile:
It is a wiki-page. It's actually faster and easier for people to do the
edits themselves. If you can post an email then you can edit a wiki-page.

Doing the wiki-markup is a little trickier but just editing is like editing
text in almost any very simple text-editor.

While so many people are picking such tiny detail to correct i would like
to congratulate William Gathoye on doing such an amazing job. It must be
exhausting to go through so many hundreds of emails, and collect the
information from so many other sources at the same time. Proof-reading, if
thought necessary, should really be done by a 2nd person, as it is done in
documentation and translation teams. Personally i think it is fine as it
is;
1. errors are fairly rare and very minor
2. it shows the international nature of the project and looks friendlier
3. it shows the that a vast quantity of information is sifted through in
order to get the result.

Note that other such things tend to have quite a few people collaborating
or sending in articles and only appear monthly or quarterly or even less
often.

So, top marks to William Gathoye for doing such a fantastic job!! :)))
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

As promised, I advertised LOWN 5 on social networks [1] [2]

Even, if LOWN was not intended as a public release [3], the
advertising on G+ and a ping to Michael Larabel is just a test to see
how the public will react, on the marketing POV.

[1] https://plus.google.com/112998591790866541202/posts/Spst6H9bgUb
[2] https://twitter.com/willubuntu/status/511247560368201728
[3] "This newsletter is not really meant for people outside our
community." from
http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2014/09/14/strategy-workshop/

- --
William Gathoye
<william@gathoye.be>

Hey William,

Hi *,

I've just finished to write the fifth edition of LOWN. [1]

The latter is waiting for your reviews.

If I got no complains in the next 48h, I'll advertise it on social
networks pinging some news magazine holders like Michael Larabel
(Phoronix).

As promised, I advertised LOWN 5 on social networks [1] [2]

Even, if LOWN was not intended as a public release [3], the
advertising on G+ and a ping to Michael Larabel is just a test to see
how the public will react, on the marketing POV.

LOL don't worry it is always good to spread the word out. I will beat the drums tomorrow too.

Best,

Charles.

House organs have a long history of being the best PR produced by the organization.

jonathon

Hi William,

Also from me congrats for that huge amount of work.

One small thing:

Andrew Sayers, a new LibreOffice contributor, released mid-August 17

patches to improve the LibreOffice Calc export filter called XSLT.[3]

It's not called XSLT, but *uses* XSLT :wink: Just remove "called XSLT" and
you're good. Or "[...] improve the LibreOffice Calc HTML XSL export filter."

Maybe you can also post those to reddit.com/r/libreoffice ? We have 432
subscribers there.

Cheers,
Philipp