Multilingual planet - which way to go?

Hi *,

this mail is more or less a call for vote about what approach is preferred.

In the past there was discussion/requests to have multilang planet.

Problem is that currently used planet aggregator at
planet.documentfoundation.org doesn't expose filtering abilities, so
there has been reservation with regard to allowing non-English
submissions.

The main question is now to whether have one huge planet where ~
everyone is aggregated, no matter what language, and whoever only
wants english has to use filtersettings himself, or whether to setup
multiple independent planets, each focused on one language/set of
languages.

https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/400 basically is about
the first variant (all aggregated with filter capability).

But before spending time on setting it up that way: is this what what
NL-Projects want/expect? Please state your opinion :slight_smile:

Would one for English, one for "all others" also be an option, or is
this a fundamentally bad idea?

"I want…

[ ] …a single, multilanguage planet
[ ] …separate planets per (set of) languages
[ ] …____________________________________ (own suggestion)"

ciao
Christian

Hi Christian,

Christian Lohmaier wrote (15-05-14 15:28)

But before spending time on setting it up that way: is this what what
NL-Projects want/expect? Please state your opinion :slight_smile:

I see/expect verry little content that could make it worth to have one
specifically for Dutch.

Would one for English, one for "all others" also be an option, or is
this a fundamentally bad idea?

The latter, IMHO :wink:

Cheers,
Cor

I think one per language is the way, with a lang selector so we can
maintain the same idea as was requested for askbot.

I am still in favour that http://planet.documentfoundation.org/ would now be the official planet with the nl planets showing in the right margin. Or as Cedric suggested on the FR list, a setup such as the Opensouse site would also work[1](source code [2]), The links at the top would show the different nl planets and NOT the blogs.

However, I do have some comments about the effectiveness of that site, in particular, if we were to follow such a model, I would suggest:

* links at the top would be nl planets
* link names would all be localised
* there would be a link to the EN planet
* all articles showing on the landing page would be those of official TDF/LibreOffice news (no EN blogs other than an Official TDF blog would show on this landing page)

Ultimately offer the following feature:

* offer registrations offering members the option of picking favourites (nl planets), permitting them to see only the planets of their choice once logged in (allow members to be logged in over an extended 7 days to promote regular visits to the site)

* IMO, we should eventually work towards a "one TDF login does all" for all of our sites. This will allow us another metric for marketing purposes -- even better as these members would be more engaged members.

IMO, and this comment is what I find, since having joined the community, we should really move away from the EN language being considered the ALL voice. I agree totally with the idea of having EN as the "lingua franca" of communication with the project (and for contributor groups), BUT, what has happened is the decimation of the EN community. There is no real nl-EN work being produced by nl-EN members. The overall impression from EN members is that they do not have their own space and that everyone considers anything EN tantamount to an official statement from the project.

We need to re-introduce the EN community wherever we can. In doing so, this will send a clear message to the nl groups that there is no language of greater importance and that they can produce first-run/first-thought-of ideas in their own communities. If the EN community is interested in communicating this to ther members, then they can easily translate these and post them through their own nl-EN channels.

We had discussed this at a particularly long-length on the website list[3] in Dec. 2012, most of which still applies today.

Cheers,

Marc

[1] http://planet.opensuse.org/
[2] https://gitorious.org/opensuse/planet-opensuse
[3] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.website/9376

Marc

Wise words! Quick comment from my side, feel free to launch separate threads on some of your topics below. As for my perception of the original idea: something lile OpenSuse is what we want, I think.

Feedback from others welcome,

Charles.