Hackfest kit ?

Hello all,

I am planning a hackfest/hackathon in Montreal, Canada and I was wondering
what resources were available to prepare such an event?

From among all those who have organized/been to such an event, what is your

feedback/input?

Cheers from Montreal!

Immanuel

Hi Immanuel,

I am planning a hackfest/hackathon in Montreal, Canada and I was wondering
what resources were available to prepare such an event?

Obviously you need a room capable to hold the expected number of people
with tables and proper seating. We were ~20 people on the Hamburg
Hackfest last weekend, ~25-30 in Munich last year, but these numbers are
probably higher than what can be expected for Montreal because Germany
is somewhat the home play for LibreOffice and within good reach for
European hackers.

Also good if the room or a next one has a recreational area with
armchairs or couches. Best if the room isn't bare and sterile :wink: an
already existing hacker space mostly makes feel comfy.

Of course you need Internet connectivity, WiFi if possible so people can
carry around their laptops without loosing connection. Have enough plugs
for everybody and extension cables / multi sockets. A projector (and
white wall) may be good in case someone wants to show something to all
or hold a lightning talk.

To tune into a friendly atmosphere and get to know each other have
a social event the evening before (i.e. Friday if hackfest on weekend),
like a dinner or beer event. Best if some sponsor pays for it :wink:

Provide enough drinks and food and fruits for all days, all sorts of
caffeinated drinks are welcomed, some beer for the evening, bread rolls,
cheese, ham, salami, snacks, apples, bananas, strawberries :wink: Order
(sponsored) pizza in the evening.

Last but not least, have fun and hack :slight_smile:

  Eike

Hi Immanuel, Eike,

Obviously you need a room capable to hold the expected number of people
with tables and proper seating. We were ~20 people on the Hamburg
Hackfest last weekend, ~25-30 in Munich last year, but these numbers are
probably higher than what can be expected for Montreal because Germany
is somewhat the home play for LibreOffice and within good reach for
European hackers.

For Montreal, promoting the event locally would be even more important. It
would be highly helpful to find some connection to a local computer science
department (maybe even get the support of a professor), to get some students on
board. Print flyers and posters.[1]

With regard to missing "home play", you likely need to sponsor to fly in some
some experienced hackers to bootstrap the event. I would even consider calling
them speakers -- it suggests a shy interested reader that he can come by and
can passively consume a talk. Depending on the audience that may be the start,
but in the long run, we ideally want to do an introduction and then move on to
a more workshop-like feeling to get things done.

Last but not least, have fun and hack :slight_smile:

One more organizational thing: Offer distibuted couchsurfing in some kind or
way -- not only is it a cheap accomodation, it also helps creating social
bonding[2].

Best,

Bjoern

[1] template: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:HackfestHamburg2013Flyer.odg
[2] Im saying that as someone being told "You should call your mother more
    often!" on the Hackfest. :wink: