Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last


Hello,

I was asked to spread the information about the infra work broadly to the project, so I'm forwarding you this (and probably subsequent) message.

If you think it's offtopic, please let me know. For discussions on infra topics, we should use the website@global.libreoffice.org mailing list.

Florian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Results of yesterday's admin meeting
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 12:38:51 +0100
From: Florian Effenberger <floeff@documentfoundation.org>
Organization: The Document Foundation
To: website@global.libreoffice.org, hostmaster@documentfoundation.org

Hello,

yesterday, November 8th, we had an informal admin meeting in Pfronten,
Germany. Participants were Alin Creţu, Chistian Lohmaier, Robert Einsle,
Alexander Werner and myself.

We have all unanimously agreed to the following proposal, which I would
like to share with you.

The basic problem is that our infrastructure needs to keep pace with the
community growth, so it needs to grow rapidly. For that to happen, we
need to establish better structures than now, and a better internal
communication.

To solve that issue, we propose the following:


1. categorizing and prioritizing of services

We run various services. Some of them are crucial (like gerrit, email
and the download page), others are important, but not that crucial. We
need to get an overview of all running services and attach a
category/priority to them.

For normal services, the "four eyes principle" should be enforced, i.e.
at least two people are fully in the know.

For crucial services, a six eyes principle should be enforced, i.e. at
least three people are fully in the know.

Exceptions can be granted when needed, but the above should be the
general rule.


2. creation of a core team

To reflect the actual working areas and bandwith of working, we propose
the setup of a core team (the name is a working title), composed of
those who are experienced and have been involved in many parts of the
infrastructure, in other words, those who not only have a focus on one
aspect, those who have "the big picture".


3. policy for new software and services

New software and services should only be installed after the majority of
the core team approved them.


4. defining responsible parties

For all servers, VMs and services, at least one responsible party needs
to be defined. Responsible means that it's their responsibility of
keeping the service running and ensure proper updating, especially in
terms of security fixes.


5. advance update planning

For updates to be applied, especially those involving a restart of
services or the reboot of an entire machine, a proper update and reboot
procedure should be set in place. This also includes a fixed update
window for regular updates, when downtime of services can be expected.
However, in case of security updates, there is one major rule: Safety
and security first. In other words, as soon as a crucial update is
available, it will be immediately installed without any further delay.


6. documentation

New services will only be installed after they have been properly
documented beforehand. Exceptions can be granted by the core team.
General rule: No productive services without proper documentation.

We will come up with a proposal on how to document. Wiki and ODT have
not been working out, so we will evaluate other options. An idea was to
use RST files (restructured text), using Sphinx. Those text files could
be managed via a git repository.

We will come up with a proper template, e.g. for layout, but also with
some basic principles (paths, commands, scriptable configuration and the
like) for documentation.

In addition, etckeeper and git will be used for tracking changes and
manage the configuration.

Furthermore, certain policies on when to use either source packages, or
distribution packages, or a self-hosted repository will be defined.


7. OTRS

We will make more use of OTRS in the future, especially for change
management.


8. regular meetings

Since e-mail is basically filling everyone's inbox, it becomes
incredibly hard to keep up with all important aspects. We therefore plan
at least monthly admin phone conference meetings to keep up with recent
developments.

In addition, depending of time availability and budgets, we plan to have
one real life meeting per quarter.


9. todo/task management

Every admin currently has their very own todo list. We will try to make
these lists public, using one common tool.


10. housekeeping

We will check the current recipient list of the internal admin list,
removing those not being active for months.


11. adding new team members

In addition, as a general rule, we try to involve new participants even
better. Due to a lack of time, structure and enough VMs we failed at
that, but it's important for the future growth of the admin team.

As a general rule, we will be very careful of granting root access to
all machines. There is no need to grow that current list of account
holders. However, we try to virtualize/jail more and more services, so
new team members can e.g. take full responsibility of certain VHosts,
the wiki and other parts, without giving out too much access.

The rationale behind that is that TDF already hosts lots of crucial
infrastructure as well as confidential items, and we need to find the
right balance between being open and inclusive, and opening security issues.


Looking forward to your feedback on this,
Alin, Christian, Robert, Alex and Florian

--
Florian Effenberger, Chairman of the Board (Vorstandsvorsitzender)
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
The Document Foundation, Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint

--
Florian Effenberger, Chairman of the Board (Vorstandsvorsitzender)
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
The Document Foundation, Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint





--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to projects+help@global.libreoffice.org
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/projects/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Context


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.