Hi Italo,

Le 2012-11-07 05:29, Italo Vignoli a écrit :
Il 06/11/2012 17:14, Marc Paré ha scritto:

It seems to me that we are now going to abandon the recognized brand
name of "LibO" (well-known internally, and somewhat externally
recognized by the communities) and try to establish a more generic brand
"Libre" which is usually associated with a movement, and, we have
already established that there is a pronunciation problem with some of
our communities with the word "Libre".

I do not want to abandon LibO, but I want to strengthen Libre, because
the name of the software is LibreOffice and there is a huge number of
people who use LO and call it OOo based on 10 years habits.

In addition, strengthening "libre" will reinforce the association
between our software and Liberty, as the two words share the same root
(and Liberty is a very well know word in English, which seems to be the
native pronunciation with the highest number of problems).

I am also using "libre" as a distinctive word for our project, by adding
the tagline *because "libre" is better than "open"* to every
presentation I make around the world. Of course, I am playing on both
words here, and I am sure that there will be people unhappy about this
tagline (but none of us is supposed to make all people happy).

Best, Italo

A big problem with using/pushing "Libre" is that there is no way that we could ever claim copyright on it at all. At least with LibO, we already hold some kind of rights; this is something of quite large importance in name usage marketing.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré