Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last


----- Forwarded message from Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@suse.com> -----

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:13:48 +0100
From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@suse.com>
To: libreoffice-dev <libreoffice@lists.freedesktop.org>, Libreoffice-qa 
<libreoffice-qa@lists.freedesktop.org>
Subject: minutes of ESC call ...
X-Mailer: Evolution 3.2.3

* Present
        + Kohei, Rainer, Cedric, Lionel, Eike, Astron, Andras,
          Stephan, Caolan, Michael, Thorsten, Norbert, Kendy,
          Michael S, Petr

* Completed Action Items
        + task selection for LibreOffice 4 wiki:
                + http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/LibreOffice4
                + [ punted for now ]

* Pending Action Items
        + [pending] notify all committers when we have a nice simple, minimal
          statement of what is required for gerrit written (Bjoern)
                + reviews done
        + make bytemark windows box do release builds (Fridrich)
        + maildrop for Gerrit (Bjoern)
                + 3/4 done, in progress idly.
        + 4.0 issues (Everyone)
                + everyone interested in cleanups - claim your work until next ESC!
                        + http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/LibreOffice4
        + crediting: can we separate tempates in the credits page (Spaetz)
                + [ in progress ]

* Release Engineering update (Petr)
        + 3.6.0 update & post-mortem
                + all was quiet until the last two release candidates
                + only panicing at the last minute
                + was timing related / summertime ?
                + first-start / updating bug issue
                        + underestimated
                        + Stephan: bad timing, reported on Linux etc. used
                          non-released builds between.
                        + by chance, Michael fixed the windows build
                        + prereg feature only used on Windows, fix for issues
                          didn't make it into 3.6 from master.
                        + systemic problem where people are encouraged to
                          remove their user-installation vs. moveaside & make
                          available.
AI:                     + update QA FAQs / challenge answers to encourage moving
                          profiles away instead of deleting (Rainer)
                                + user installs can have sensitive data though,
                                  care needed - but keep that around.
                        + non-upgrades for profiles from dev / intermediate versions
                                + removing user-profile inconsistent data hid issues
                                  and hurt testing too
                                + Always create code to upgrade / never advise removal
                                  of inconsistent data.
                                + Rainer happy to help with profiles.
                + suggest zero tolerance policy for upgrade issues during development
                        + could have upgrade tinderbox (Bjoern)
                        + be nice to have some unit tests too (Michael)
                        + most important thing to get to better tests (Stephan)
                + standard test for how profile updates work (Rainer)
                        + it ~never works, but put more focus on this
                        + the problem was so frequent people got used to it.
                + adopt a near zero tolerance policy for upgrade issues during development
                        + bibisect can cause problems (Bjoern)
                        + agree - lots of ignoring of profile problems
                          with WORKSFORME when profiles are removed (Rainer)
                                + should not tolerate this.
                + collecting user-configuration - have a script / app to
                  dump it as a .zip ?
AI:                     + file an easy-hack to ship a binary to dump it (Petr)
                + 2x days of performance issues on the main website
                        + can cause issues
                + missing MSI signatures
                        + Andras forgot; normally some RC tester checks/reports that
                        + Thorsten added validation to upload scripts.
                + few native-lang projects deferred announce due to dictionaries bug
        + 3.6.1 RC1
                + pull the timeline in - do RC1 in 1 week instead
                + freeze / checkin deadline on Monday
                + RC2 in one extra week.
                + fixes the upgrade bug earlier.
        + 3.5.6 RC2
                + tagged this week / final version
                + builds being up-loaded / announce soon - on track.

* GSOC update (Cedric)
        + bit more than a week to go, make students aware it's almost over
        + pencils down / evaluations by August 20th

* UI / design update (Astron)
        + discussion about updated icons for gallery
        + ongoing options discussion
        + official git repo for artwork ?
                + should we re-use the old repository ? (no)
        + ongoing discussion around artwork licensing
        + new 'templates' repository created
                + can we push templates there ?
                + 70 new templates up-loaded to the wiki page
                  http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Call_for_Templates
                + need CC0 / authenticity statements & push those to git.
        + intends to package Astron & Alexander's templates first (Bjoern)
                + and do a package release
                + packagers who want sexy new templates take note ...
                + need some macro sanity checking
        + Astron / Alexander to provide editorial feedback & improvement
          encouragement
        + Toolbar fixing status - on Kendy's todo.
        + Bjoern created some Design easy-hacks
                + 
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks_by_required_Skill#Easy_Hacks_requiring_Design_Skills

* Adobe Sans Pro bundling (Caolan)
        + 
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/adobe-releases-source-sans-pro-a-new-open-source-font/
                + lots of positive noise about it, no problem adding it (Caolan)
        + no Cyrillic or Greek, perhaps bundle other fonts instead (Astron)
        + we have an only-ascii font currently (Caolan)
AI:     + re-think our bundled font list (Astron / design-team)

* Call for Papers - talks @ LibreOffice con
        * ESC agenda - 16th day before for an in-person meeting / hack-fest
                + please book flights for a day earlier
        + http://conference.libreoffice.org/call-for-paper
                + co-hosting talks is fine
                + find a parterner for your short talk
                + potentially add a "15mins" to the subject if you
                  want a short talk
                + please submit lightning talks too

* liblangtag issues (Eike)
        + controversial new required LGPLv3 dependency
                + implements BCP47 language codes
                + lots of nice code cleanup possible
        + very simple replacement for iOS / Android
        + not an ideal situation
        + invest outside the wrapper & lets see

* AOOi git import
        + with full OO.o history back to day one on top of OOO340_m1
                http://download.go-oo.org/AOOi/
        + like to push it to our git repo
                + adds another 40Mb of download +5% ...
AI      => just do it (Kendy)

* bugzilla / gerrit integration (Bjoern)
        + concern about getting spammed a lot from calc guys.x
        + postpone discussion for next week.

--- out of time ~everything postponed below ---

* 4.0 - ongoing discussion (All)
        + best ideas heard so far: to do an ABI thaw for 4.0,
          and keep in place until after 4.1 - 1 year for ABI
          fixing.

* QA update (Rainer)
        + producing a bibsect repository for Windows (Norbert)
        + new bug report page - with search for duplicates [!] ...

* GUADEC update (Michael)

* git-review thoughts (Bjoern)

* gerrit update (Bjoern)
        + bugzilla / auto-commenting integration
                + filter-able changes ? ...
        + --new-changeid discussion

* 3.6 most annoying bugs ...
    + 11 (of 58) older 12/55 11/48 8/42 10/37 11/35 5/26 5/21 3/19 4/15 8/13
         19%            22%   23%   19%  27%   31%   19%  24%  16%  27%  62%
    + https://bugs.freedesktop.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=44446&hide_resolved=1

* 3.5 most annoying bugs ...
    + 75 open (of 253) older 77/253 73/250 72/249 67/244 70/243 73/241 72/238
         30%                   30%    29%   29%    27%    29%    30%    30%
    + https://bugs.freedesktop.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=37361&hide_resolved=1

* 3.5 bugs tagged with 'regression'
    + 177(-3) bugs open of 723(+3) total

    * ~Component   count net *
    + Writer       - 67 (-2)
    + Presentation - 21 (+1)
    + Crashes      - 20 (+1)
    + LibreOffice  - 17 (+1)
    + Spreadsheet  - 16 (-4)
    + Database     - 11 (+1)
    + Drawing      - 11 (+0)
    + Borders      - 9  (+0)
    + Migration    - 7  (+0)
    + Writer / RTF - 7  (+0)
    + Basic        - 2  (+0)

    + 
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=regression%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&resolution=---&query_format=advanced&product=LibreOffice&list_id=36764
    + Migration tracker: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43489

-- 
michael.meeks@suse.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
LibreOffice@lists.freedesktop.org
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to projects+help@global.libreoffice.org
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/projects/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Context


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.