[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of the libreoffice qa call 2012-06-14

Hi all,

here are the minutes of todays QA call.

attending: Florian, Petr, Rainer, Bjoern

pending action items:
   - write update scenario testcase in Litmus/MozTrap (Kendy)
   - Set Cor up with the Community/Forum maintainers at the distros
     to better propagate Hackfests, Bug Hunting Sessions etc.
     RedHat, Debian, Gentoo still missing
+ - Invite active bugwranglers to next call/QA list, CC Rainer (Bjoern)
   - merge 3.5 and 3.6 in one big bibisect repo (Bjoern)
   - recheck and tweak bibisect details (Bjoern)

completed action items:
   - Update/Create active triagers wiki page (Cor/Rainer) dropped
   - collect further ideas for spending a dedicated resource (Cor/Rainer)
     mostly finished, BoD request approved
   - update bugwrangling docs to say CC instead of assign (Rainer)

structured manual testing (Yifan/Petr):
   - no news

bug wrangling (Rainer):
   - Board of Directors approved budget for Bugzilla improvement, pending SPI
     (Bjoern)
   - Bugzilla improvements (Rainer)
     - priorities: performance, OpenID, reporter confirmation, extensions,
       OpenHatch/MediaWiki, version nagger (Bjoern)
     - search email improvement a la SUSE bugzilla would be useful (Petr)
AI: - research how it is done on SUSE/if there is a ready-to-use-extension for
       it (Petr)
     - MediaWiki integration would be useful in general bug now prefixes
       "EasyHack" everywhere (Rainer)
AI: - Ping cloph if we can make that switchable to say "Bug" instead of
         "EasyHack" when explicitly requested (Bjoern)
   - bugzilla LibreOffice version format
     - long thread on the list
     - conclusion: go with 3.6.0.0.beta1 style(?), starting with 3.6.0.0.beta2
AI: - authoritive close of thread (Rainer/Petr)
AI: - adapt script to new version theme (Markus)
   - localized bug reporting (question via Olivier Hallot)
     - we could set up a component for that (Rainer)
     - needs quick and reliable translators
     - will preduce lots of dupes (Bjoern)
     - will be problematic if feedback from the reporter is needed (Bjoern)
     - alternative: defer to the local mailing list and let an english speaker
       file the bug as proxy

automated testing and review (Bjoern/Norbert?):
   - gerrit/tinderboxes
     - still has to consider all the consequences (Petr)
     - 1 day from tag to mirror -- we shouldnt prolong that (Petr)
       - indeed, gerrit should be a tool to use sensible -- it shouldnt stop
         inertia. only use it when it makes our life easier. (Bjoern)
     - dailies should always be build from tip of master, not including patches
       pending review
     - lots of conflicting opinions/views about tinderbox capabilities:
       - "we can build and test every commit on linux"
       - tinderbox with l10n has a 12 hour turnaround (that is ~50 commit steps)
         - Can we switch l10n off? (Florian)
       - discussion somewhat warped by these different assumptions

community building/communication (Cor?):
   - beta testers for 3.6.0 beta 1
   - 3.6.0 beta 1 available in ppa (Bjoern)
     - Wheres a good howto? (Florian)
       - http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/libreoffice-360-beta-1-released-ubuntu.html
       - best to install in a VM still
     - unfortunately no ppa stats:
       https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/1006323
   - so far 16 beta bug reports in the first two weeks (vs. 25 for 3.5)
     - might just be better quality
     - we need more beta testers
AI: - Are there any Bug Hunting Sessions in the pipe? (Cors)
       - SUSE will prepare packages for the beta for testing too (Petr)
AI: - Could Fedora do this too? (Caolan?)
   - german QA meeting starting half an hour after the call (Florian/Rainer)

bibisect for 3.5 release branch and 3.6 master (Bjoern/Korrawit):
   - no news

The next call is on 2012-06-29 1400 UTC.

Best,

Bjoern

AI:  - adapt script to new version theme (Markus)

done. The manual solution that is currently implemented is now
adjusted to the new version scheme.

Regards,
Markus

Hi *,

- MediaWiki integration would be useful in general bug now prefixes
      "EasyHack" everywhere (Rainer)
AI:    - Ping cloph if we can make that switchable to say "Bug" instead of
        "EasyHack" when explicitly requested (Bjoern)

it is possible. One could add a tag label="whatever" and then use
"whatever" as label, or something similar.

The code for the extension is here:
https://github.com/tdf/misc/tree/master/wiki/EasyHacks

The label is hardcoded to "EasyHack" here:
https://github.com/tdf/misc/blob/master/wiki/EasyHacks/SimpleFeed.php#L139

So fairly easy to replace that with a different label in case a label
or similar tag is added.

ciao
Christian

Hi Bjoern, all,

Sorry, some unread mail in some folders :wink:

Bjoern Michaelsen wrote (15-06-12 17:50)

here are the minutes of todays QA call.
[...]
community building/communication (Cor?):

Currently it's better (wrt false expectations) to have my name not there.

AI: - Are there any Bug Hunting Sessions in the pipe? (Cor)

Good question. I'm much later obviously then with the previous sessions.

Would it be OK to do it Friday 6, Saturday 7 July?
Objective: testing on the Beta 3, and triaging of bugs.

I've not so much time to spend, but think I can do at least the organising part and will try to participate for some hours too.

What do others think?

Cor Nouws wrote (24-06-12 14:46)

Michael Meeks schrieb:

  If it gets us more testing of 3.6 - it sounds like an excellent idea to

Hi,

I also believe it would be great do do some final spurt for 3.6.
Though I will have to beg of, currently I invest a lot of time for testing with Master and 3.6 during normal work, (<https://bugs.freedesktop.org/report.cgi?x_axis_field=version&y_axis_field=reporter&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=LibreOffice&longdesc_type=allwordssubstr&longdesc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_id=&bug_id_type=anyexact&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailqa_contact2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&emailtype3=substring&email3=&chfieldvalue=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&field0-0-0=version&type0-0-0=anywordssubstr&value0-0-0=3.6.0+3.7.0.0.alpha&format=table&action=wrap>),
and I will have to limit my engagement a little to avoid conflicts with job and wife :wink:

But may be I will join for a short visit.

Best regards

rainer

Hi all,

Rainer Bielefeld wrote (26-06-12 20:13)

Michael Meeks schrieb:

    If it gets us more testing of 3.6 - it sounds like an excellent
idea to

I also believe it would be great do do some final spurt for 3.6.
[..]
But may be I will join for a short visit.

So here we go:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugHunting_Session_3.6.0

We'll have to make sure that preparations are in place, just for in case that non of us is able to join :slight_smile:

Italo, could you draft a simple PR, or can you give me permission to recycle some of your previous work :wink:

Cheers

Hi Cor

Michael Meeks schrieb:

If it gets us more testing of 3.6 - it sounds like an excellent
idea to

I also believe it would be great do do some final spurt for 3.6.
[..]
But may be I will join for a short visit.

So here we go:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugHunting_Session_3.6.0

We'll have to make sure that preparations are in place, just for in case
that non of us is able to join :slight_smile:

Italo, could you draft a simple PR, or can you give me permission to
recycle some of your previous work :wink:

Cheers

Just as a suggestion for future bug hunting and other events.

Could you please check the calendar of events before planning any events? This will help avoid any conflicts with any other events that show on the calendar.

For example, the next bug hunting session of July 6-7 falls on a common day with the Libre Software Meeting (LSM) (btw, we don't have anyone attending this conference).

This is not to suggest to not plan any events on such dates, but to be aware of the impact of planning events on the same day(s) as another pre-planned event. We may be spreading ourselves too thin if we plan events on conflicting dates.

I try to keep the visual calendar as up to date as possible[1][2]. (the same visual calendar exists on both the wiki and website)

I have added the BugHunt date on the events calendar.

Cheers,

Marc

[1] http://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/libreoffice-international-events-calendar/

[2] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/EventsCalendar

Hi Marc,

Marc Paré wrote (29-06-12 16:12)

Just as a suggestion for future bug hunting and other events.

Could you please check the calendar of events before planning any
events? This will help avoid any conflicts with any other events that
show on the calendar.

You're right, thanks for noticing and reminding me!
(Hope I won't forget :-\ / :wink: )

[...]
I have added the BugHunt date on the events calendar.
[...]
http://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/libreoffice-international-events-calendar/

[2] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/EventsCalendar

Regards,