LibreOffice developer digest

Hi there,

yeah, $subject is not new, but I thought I would run this idea past
you folks here again. :wink:

It would be just wonderful, if we could have a weekly digest on the
TDF blog highlighting what has happened in developer land, in
layman's terms. Examples of what I have in mind:

* http://blogs.gnome.org/commitdigest/2012/03/11/issue-179/#more-624
* http://dot.kde.org/2011/01/16/kde-commit-digest-12th-december-2010
* http://lwn.net/Articles/493324/

(ok, I admit, the last one is quite a stretch target)

This would provide nice raw material for upcoming release notes,
create visibility for cool new developments, and keeps users and QA
community informed.

Petr was posting nice script-generated summaries before, but that's
possibly too fine-grained / low-level for a blog:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-March/028252.html

Anyway, what do you think? I'll quite possibly not have the cycles
to do it myself, but I happily volunteer to review or facilitate, if
someone steps up for that. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Thorsten Behrens wrote (08-05-12 12:42)

yeah, $subject is not new, but I thought I would run this idea past
you folks here again. :wink:

It would be just wonderful, if we could have a weekly digest on the
TDF blog highlighting what has happened in developer land, in
layman's terms. Examples of what I have in mind:

I have some 10-15 items collected already. Waiting for next step in handling...

Thorsten Behrens wrote:

Anyway, what do you think? I'll quite possibly not have the cycles
to do it myself, but I happily volunteer to review or facilitate, if
someone steps up for that. :slight_smile:

Interesting, but it should be human readable :wink: especially if we want
to keep the interest high between people who are not developers, which
account for over 50% of the world's population.

Cor Nouws píše v Út 08. 05. 2012 v 16:40 +0200:

Thorsten Behrens wrote (08-05-12 12:42)

> yeah, $subject is not new, but I thought I would run this idea past
> you folks here again. :wink:
>
> It would be just wonderful, if we could have a weekly digest on the
> TDF blog highlighting what has happened in developer land, in
> layman's terms. Examples of what I have in mind:

I have some 10-15 items collected already. Waiting for next step in
handling...

Wonderful. Could you please cut&paste them? I wonder how they look like.

BTW: How did you collect them? The following ways come to my mind:

  + git changelog:
    + not easy; it used to be 500 commits per week when I
                  did the statistics;
                + well, a good reader might be able to find some gold
                  there "just" by checking the 500 lines of subjects

  + developer mailing list:
    + many people already read it
    + it does not mention features done by core developers
                  that have write access to git
    + also it does not mention interesting stuff from other
                  areas (QA, user interface, ...)

  + changes at
          http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5
    + easy to see diff from last week
    + developers are lazy to document their features there

Best Regards,
Petr

Hi Petr,

Petr Mladek wrote (10-05-12 17:11)

Wonderful. Could you please cut&paste them? I wonder how they look like.

thanks for your interest!
Attached an ods with the rough data I have now.
Thinking about a strategy to get that in WordPress quickly (without difficult mouse editing of links... Someone a hint?) :-\
(will post part of it, will keep part for next blog)

BTW: How did you collect them? The following ways come to my mind:

  + git changelog:

Yup, just this. I see it once or sometimes more each day. And picking out interesting stuff goes fast after some practising :wink:

Regards,

Cor Nouws píše v Čt 10. 05. 2012 v 17:32 +0200:

Hi Petr,

Petr Mladek wrote (10-05-12 17:11)

> Wonderful. Could you please cut&paste them? I wonder how they look like.

thanks for your interest!
Attached an ods with the rough data I have now.

The list of selected changes look reasonable to me. I just suggest two
things:

   + add name of the author
   + slightly reword each commit summary to get a consistent look and
     feel

I mean to get something like the GNOME digest, see
http://blogs.gnome.org/commitdigest/2012/03/11/issue-179/#more-624

Thinking about a strategy to get that in WordPress quickly (without
difficult mouse editing of links... Someone a hint?) :-\
(will post part of it, will keep part for next blog)

When I announce builds for openSUSE, I cut&paste the previous
announcement. Most of the links are the same.

If you want to add links to bugzilla, I could create a simple script for
you. It will replace fdo#xxxxx with the needed tags for WordPress. I
guess that it uses html tags. Does it?

> BTW: How did you collect them? The following ways come to my mind:
>
> + git changelog:

Yup, just this. I see it once or sometimes more each day. And picking
out interesting stuff goes fast after some practising :wink:

Cool. Thanks a lot for working on it.

Best Regards,
Petr

Hi Petr,

Petr Mladek wrote (11-05-12 14:39)

Attached an ods with the rough data I have now.

The list of selected changes look reasonable to me. I just suggest two
things:

    + add name of the author
    + slightly reword each commit summary to get a consistent look and
      feel

The second I did a bit. The first might be an idea for the next time:
http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2012/05/11/new-and-changed-functions-you-can-experience-and-test-them-now/

[...]
If you want to add links to bugzilla, I could create a simple script for
you. It will replace fdo#xxxxx with the needed tags for WordPress. I
guess that it uses html tags. Does it?

Thanks for the offer. When looking at the WordPress thing yesterday I did not find a HTML switch, but it was there today. And that makes it easy enough for me to handle.
But if I think I need smarter tools, I'll call you :slight_smile:

Cool. Thanks a lot for working on it.

First time is bit more time-consuming.
Now the routing is clear, I hope I can do it fast and regularly.
Looking in the git-commits is something I do anyway.

Cheers,