Single Git repository migration plan

Hi all,
[please follow up on projects@ list]

There is an planed effort to reduce and consolidate the number of git repositories in use (up to 20 currently) and migrate them using a git fetch, however it has some drawbacks with history being unusable.
A clean up will be necessary too (the main one being tab/space clean-up). You'll find a C program for that indicated on the wiki page bellow.
As a result also, the development pages will need to be updated on the wiki, so you'll have to monitor the changes done there.
The script onegit.sh, which is located in contrib/dev-tools, implement the steps described above.
The migration is intrusive so please, pay attention to what will be done and the schedule (not confirm yet) on this page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/One_Git_Conversion

Thanks in advance for your help, your feedback and your monitoring on this.
If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask (I am for sure the wrong person to answer but I know where the resource is hiding :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Sophie

[...]

Once the migration takes place, each person should clone this single
Git repository, right?

Yes. this will be 'core'
After the migration there are 5 repos left
help and translations which are untouched by the migration process
binfilter (about 36MB) which contain the binfitler module extracted
from the old filters repo. this is an optional repos (i.e not needed
if you do not have --enable-binfilter)
dictionaries (about 74MB) which contain the dictionaries module
extracted from the old libs-extern-sys. this is an optional module (on
needed if you have an autogen option that trigger the build of the
dictionaries)
and core (about 580MB) which contain all the rest

Is it possible to create a tarball of the repository so that people
can download using a download manager (through HTTP or FTP), and then
they can 'git pull' in order to bring in sync?

Yes, I'll put that in the to-do list.
most likely it will be at
http://dev-www.libreoffice.org/bundles/libreffice-core.tar.bz2

Norbert