[us-marketing] [NA-DVD] Day 8 (of 21)

Hi drew, *,

sorry for the delay. Was away for the weekend meeting with tdf admin
collegues ;o)).

As I'm not involved in content affairs I'll try to answer at best
knowledge :o)).

drew schrieb:

<snip>

First - included the projects list on this.

Alright finished up that artwork-gallery files and moved on to the
clipart files.

Now things get a little more interesting.

1) Some of the files are shared between NA-DVD and the DE disc, and
they exist therefore in the assets directory on the CMS - problem is
they use German names for the sub-directories, and we of course use
English. Is there a good way to handle this using SilverStripe so we
both get what we want without duplicating files?

I had a short look over it. As far as I see, only those subdirs
containing german content carry german names. It's the 'screenshot'
and 'templates' folder.

Maybe some rework is needed on a couple of places to make it less
confusing but in general no overall rework is required.

then again - do we care if a sub-directory is in English or German,
really it is just a click on a URL link on a HTML page right?

As not familiar with the CMS capabilities: does move folders/files move
the link depencies as well?? In this case making a more clear folder
scheme might be an easy task ;o)).

2) The openClipArt files. Alright we have a few more then currently
on the CMS system, so no problem we add those.
But - there current files on the CMS system all use .tar.gz files
and we used .zip. Anyone care?

Not from my part. Don't really know openclipart. There is an .exe file -
is that an application pulling more stuff from the tar.gz's?

and just to think out loud here - since we need to re-link the stuff
on the HTML pages anyway - I would not mind taking the .zip files I
have, bursting the apart and recreating to .tar.gz before pushing
them to the server - I suppose .gz isn't considered a problem for
windows users any longer, huh"

not shure if this is necessary. Maybe it's worth a look, whether to
"harmonize" those things.

Maybe Uwe or Erich can give more usable comments.

Gruß/regards

Hi Drew, *

Now things get a little more interesting.

1) Some of the files are shared between NA-DVD and the DE disc, and
they exist therefore in the assets directory on the CMS - problem is
they use German names for the sub-directories, and we of course use
English. Is there a good way to handle this using SilverStripe so we
both get what we want without duplicating files?

I had a short look over it. As far as I see, only those subdirs
containing german content carry german names. It's the 'screenshot'
and 'templates' folder.

Could you tell me the folders concerned?

then again - do we care if a sub-directory is in English or German,
really it is just a click on a URL link on a HTML page right?

indeed :slight_smile:
it's more about people with Mac/Linux machines browsing the disk by file
managers - they are facing folder names.

As not familiar with the CMS capabilities: does move folders/files move
the link depencies as well?? In this case making a more clear folder
scheme might be an easy task ;o)).

Silverstripe offers no possibility to rename or move folders in assets.
Create a new one, move content, delete the old one.
We can drag files across existing folders and the links are corrected.

2) The openClipArt files. Alright we have a few more then currently
on the CMS system, so no problem we add those.
But - there current files on the CMS system all use .tar.gz files
and we used .zip. Anyone care?

Well we'll wait for complaints :wink:
I guess I went for the 'lower weight' packs when downloading them...

Maybe Uwe or Erich can give more usable comments.

:slight_smile: not sure about the usability ... :wink:

cheers
Erich

Hi Erich, *,

As not familiar with the CMS capabilities: does move folders/files move
the link depencies as well?? In this case making a more clear folder
scheme might be an easy task ;o)).

Silverstripe offers no possibility to rename or move folders in assets.

Of course it does - moving folders works just as moving pages in the
site tree, i.e. check the "enable drag'n'drop" checkbox, then drag the
folder.

And yes, it should take care of link dependencies, provided the links
are created from within silverstripe (but there might be a bug that
links are only corrected for the current subsite, not for the others).
I didn't test it thoroughly. But in the basic tests it worked.

Create a new one, move content, delete the old one.

No, that's not necessary.
to rename a folder, just change the name in the title entry-box and
use the "save folder" button

ciao
Christian

Yes - sorry - I meant to get to this today, but wandered a little.

There was only a few:

artwork/clipart/pfeile
screenshots/Beispiele
screenshots/Vorlagen

I think a few others - anyway - as I said, I don't see it as a big
problem.

Right now I'm more concerned that the different teams just have a good
understanding of what structures are in place.

Also, as I said - when I could see a pattern (or what I thought was a
pattern) I tried to follow it.

i.e.

artwork/gallery/*
[I used the single directory per]

extras/misc/*
[I used the single directory per]

templates/*
[there was already a de directory (and separate sub-dir for Beispiele)
so I added en, es, fr sub-dirs]

templates/en/*
[I followed the pattern of single sub-dir for each collection of
templates]

Otherwise - where I could find a file, used both by the de and na disc
then I re-linked the HTML page to point to the file currently oh disc.

I also looked at the installer directory and THINK I understand what is
being planned there - I should put my thoughts in an email and just make
sure that we are all on the same page. (will do that on the projects
list later today)

Thanks,

//drew

Hi Erich, *,

>> As not familiar with the CMS capabilities: does move folders/files move
>> the link depencies as well?? In this case making a more clear folder
>> scheme might be an easy task ;o)).
>
> Silverstripe offers no possibility to rename or move folders in assets.

Of course it does - moving folders works just as moving pages in the
site tree, i.e. check the "enable drag'n'drop" checkbox, then drag the
folder.

Just a quick note - that drag 'n drop feature has, it seems, a few
issues - you have to watch carefully when you use it, but it does work.

And yes, it should take care of link dependencies, provided the links
are created from within silverstripe (but there might be a bug that
links are only corrected for the current subsite, not for the others).
I didn't test it thoroughly. But in the basic tests it worked.

> Create a new one, move content, delete the old one.

No, that's not necessary.
to rename a folder, just change the name in the title entry-box and
use the "save folder" button

That I tried also and that works.

Just to follow up - so far WHEN you used SilverStripe to set some
property then all the neat GUI tools work pretty well.

@Christian - While I have your attention here.

I have a bunch of files that would not upload, seems anything over
~32Megs would fail. [1]

I also have a large group of dictionary files that need to go up...and
the GUI upload is...errr...tedious to say the least.

Anyway to either get a ftp connection and or if I give you a script with
a bunch of wget commands could someone run that for me ?

Thanks,

//drew

> Hi Erich, *,

<snip>

Just to follow up - so far WHEN you used SilverStripe to set some
property then all the neat GUI tools work pretty well.

@Christian - While I have your attention here.

I have a bunch of files that would not upload, seems anything over
~32Megs would fail. [1]

I also have a large group of dictionary files that need to go up...and
the GUI upload is...errr...tedious to say the least.

Anyway to either get a ftp connection and or if I give you a script with
a bunch of wget commands could someone run that for me ?

oops that [1] was to point to a screen shot from the error I get when
uploading largish files - the transfer runs for a while and then just
ends with this screen displayed:

http://lo-portal.us/temp/cms-upload-error.png

Hi drew, *,

drew schrieb:

[..]

I have a bunch of files that would not upload, seems anything over
~32Megs would fail. [1]

Indeed this is the size limit for files to be uploaded.

I also have a large group of dictionary files that need to go up...and
the GUI upload is...errr...tedious to say the least.

agreed :o))

Anyway to either get a ftp connection and or if I give you a script
with a bunch of wget commands could someone run that for me ?

Pass the script or just the file/folder names - what is the most
convenient for You and I'll do.

Cool to see things going on ;o))

Gruß/regards

I'll send it along as a direct email - it will be tomorrow your time :slight_smile:
and, unfortunately, likely my time also... :-/

Adios

//drew

Hi drew, *,

drew schrieb:

[.. german folder names ..]

Could you tell me the folders concerned?

Yes - sorry - I meant to get to this today, but wandered a little.

There was only a few:

artwork/clipart/pfeile

artwork/clipart/uhren

which easily could be renamed as the files inside are almost named
english.

screenshots/Beispiele
screenshots/Vorlagen

contain indeed german language examples and templates..

I think a few others - anyway - as I said, I don't see it as a big
problem.

Right now I'm more concerned that the different teams just have a good
understanding of what structures are in place.

For now the pattern is "how we did" and needs common elaboration.

Also, as I said - when I could see a pattern (or what I thought was a
pattern) I tried to follow it.

i.e.

artwork/gallery/*
[I used the single directory per]

extras/misc/*
[I used the single directory per]

templates/*
[there was already a de directory (and separate sub-dir for Beispiele)

So this might be moved to de/

so I added en, es, fr sub-dirs]

templates/en/*
[I followed the pattern of single sub-dir for each collection of
templates]

Otherwise - where I could find a file, used both by the de and na disc
then I re-linked the HTML page to point to the file currently oh disc.

So the criteria could be to put files into the <lang>/ folders following
the language content. But didn't think this at end.

I also looked at the installer directory and THINK I understand what
is being planned there - I should put my thoughts in an email and
just make sure that we are all on the same page. (will do that on the
projects list later today)

O.K.

Might be a good idea to fix this in a wiki page.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Category:LibreOffice-Box

Gruß/regards

Hi drew, *,

drew schrieb:

[..]

?

Pass the script or just the file/folder names - what is the most
convenient for You and I'll do.

I'll send it along as a direct email - it will be tomorrow your time
:slight_smile: and, unfortunately, likely my time also... :-/

If it saves time to you: Just send the URL and I fetch it all. Probably
less work to delete the unwanted afterwards?

Adios

Ciao :o))

OK - well for the dictionaries I need this directory:
http://libreoffice-na.us/English/add-on-dictionaries-large-list/

I can rename/move the directory later, sure.

For the larger individual files they will move into new locations - it
won't take me long to give you a to-from mapping - there is IIRC less
then 10 of these. Will put that together in just a little bit and send
it along.

Thanks again,

//drew

Just tried moving files using the CMS GUI - no problem.

So also need this full directory moved
http://libreoffice-na.us/English/documentation-PDF-and-other

Then these files - to any sub-direcotry, I'll move them later

http://libreoffice-na.us/English/template-files/gallery.zip
http://libreoffice-na.us/English/template-files/layout -
presentation.zip
[note the file names breaks above]

http://libreoffice-na.us/English/add-ons-templates/OOOP-accessories-2.8.0.0.oxt
http://libreoffice-na.us/English/add-ons-templates/OOOP-templates-separated-en-US-2.8.0.1.oxt
http://libreoffice-na.us/template-fr.zip
http://libreoffice-na.us/templates-es.zip

I think that leaves few un-moved but I'll find them, no doubt :slight_smile:

Thanks once more,

//drew

Hi drew, *,

drew schrieb:

drew schrieb:

[..]

If it saves time to you: Just send the URL and I fetch it all.
Probably less work to delete the unwanted afterwards?

OK - well for the dictionaries I need this directory:
http://libreoffice-na.us/English/add-on-dictionaries-large-list/

recursive directory-download doesn't work.

wget -r http://libreoffice-na.us/English/add-on-dictionaries-large-list
(..
http://libreoffice-na.us/English/add-on-dictionaries-large-list/
Connecting to libreoffice-na.us|208.109.181.237|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2011-06-30 02:35:24 ERROR 403: Forbidden.)

Need either a list of files, a html where the files are linked or
indexes enabled by .htaccess which would contain a line:
Options +Indexes

I can rename/move the directory later, sure.

For the larger individual files they will move into new locations - it
won't take me long to give you a to-from mapping - there is IIRC less
then 10 of these. Will put that together in just a little bit and send
it along.

O.K.

Thanks again,

my pleasure :o))

Gruß/regards

arrch - ok- let me check and be sure that the files on the lo-portal
server are still identical to the libreoffice-na.us server - if so, the
lo-portal server can handle the wget command - have used it before.

BRB

arrch - ok- let me check and be sure that the files on the lo-portal
server are still identical to the libreoffice-na.us server - if so, the
lo-portal server can handle the wget command - have used it before.

BRB

*$&^ - that means nope - I blew all that away, the only copy I have
other then on the libreoffice-na.us server is on my local drives and you
can't hit them.

Ah - I know another way - will do so in a direct email now...

@Tim I'm going to allow Friedrich to login to the libreoffice-na.us site
using my FTP credentials...

//drew

Hi Drew, *,

drew schrieb:

[..]

I have a bunch of files that would not upload, seems anything over
~32Megs would fail. [1]

Indeed this is the size limit for files to be uploaded.

(this is imposed by php's settings - silverstripe itself doesn't
really care. But when you have huge files to add, please use the
ftp/server space Erich offered, and have him upload the files using
scp/rsync

I also have a large group of dictionary files that need to go up...and
the GUI upload is...errr...tedious to say the least.

agreed :o))

Similarily when you got tons of files to upload, it's easier to pack
them onto the serverspace, then you don't have to select them one by
one in order to upload them.

Anyway to either get a ftp connection and or if I give you a script
with a bunch of wget commands could someone run that for me ?

Pass the script or just the file/folder names - what is the most
convenient for You and I'll do.

Yes, ftp is a nogo, and access to the server's filesystem for direct
upload is restricted as well, so providding the wget commands (or just
the URLs themselves) are welcome.

Cool to see things going on ;o))

Yes, indeed :slight_smile:

And don't hesitate to ask if you got technical problems with
silverstripe, or when you want to have stuff added to the css. (i.e.
before you try to workaround any limitation in the current theme by
adding the same manual css to every page you create, it's better to
just add it to a global css)

So far there are no eye-catcher css rules "This is a hint"/"This is a
warning",... but if you got one, then feel free to share and they can
be added to be available in the wysiwyg editor (if they can be easily
applied to a paragraph style), or at least in html-sourcecode mode (by
manually adding <divs> with the corresponding ids/classes)

ciao
Christian

Hi drew, *,

drew schrieb:

[..]

Ah - I know another way - will do so in a direct email now...

[..]

http://libreoffice-na.us/English/add-on-dictionaries-large-list/

.. ist charching ;o))

You'll find all stuff in the NA/tmp_wget/ folder after issueing
"search for new files" or the like.

still charging..

I'll stop further service now and look for my bed as we have 3:30 am
:o))

[..]

Gruß/regards

Hi Drew, *,

> drew schrieb:
>
> [..]
>
>> I have a bunch of files that would not upload, seems anything over
>> ~32Megs would fail. [1]
>
> Indeed this is the size limit for files to be uploaded.

(this is imposed by php's settings -

silverstripe itself doesn't
really care. But when you have huge files to add, please use the
ftp/server space Erich offered, and have him upload the files using
scp/rsync

OK - you want to run that by me again cause I guess I missed it.

<snip>

And don't hesitate to ask if you got technical problems with
silverstripe, or when you want to have stuff added to the css. (i.e.
before you try to workaround any limitation in the current theme by
adding the same manual css to every page you create, it's better to
just add it to a global css)

So far there are no eye-catcher css rules "This is a hint"/"This is a
warning",... but if you got one, then feel free to share and they can
be added to be available in the wysiwyg editor (if they can be easily
applied to a paragraph style), or at least in html-sourcecode mode (by
manually adding <divs> with the corresponding ids/classes)

Yes sir - the theme is going to need changing for sure - that is on the
list as things to do...

I would like to make landing page virtual with en, es and fr displayed
depending on the users browser setting.

Here is an easy one, I would like to have 3 headers and 3 footers
available depending on which language the user has selected - with out
regard to the users browser setting.

But that is for 'next' - other fish in the fry pan for today.

Thanks again,

//drew

> Hi Drew, *,
>
> > drew schrieb:
> >
> > [..]
> >
> >> I have a bunch of files that would not upload, seems anything over
> >> ~32Megs would fail. [1]
> >
> > Indeed this is the size limit for files to be uploaded.
>
> (this is imposed by php's settings -

> silverstripe itself doesn't
> really care. But when you have huge files to add, please use the
> ftp/server space Erich offered, and have him upload the files using
> scp/rsync

OK - you want to run that by me again cause I guess I missed it.

<snip>

> And don't hesitate to ask if you got technical problems with
> silverstripe, or when you want to have stuff added to the css. (i.e.
> before you try to workaround any limitation in the current theme by
> adding the same manual css to every page you create, it's better to
> just add it to a global css)
>
> So far there are no eye-catcher css rules "This is a hint"/"This is a
> warning",... but if you got one, then feel free to share and they can
> be added to be available in the wysiwyg editor (if they can be easily
> applied to a paragraph style), or at least in html-sourcecode mode (by
> manually adding <divs> with the corresponding ids/classes)

Yes sir - the theme is going to need changing for sure - that is on the
list as things to do...

Sorry before you waste any time responding to those next paragraphs,
it's OK I know they need thinking through regarding what ends up on
disc...

Excellent - now go to bed, none of us are getting any younger...:slight_smile: