[NA-DVD] Moveing asset files to the server

Hi,

I'll be using the [NA-DVD] tag in emails that deal with setting up the
CMS based disc development system for the North-America Community Disc
Project.

OK - I really need to jump on this starting today in a serious way.

First question has to do with assets.

There are a number of add-ons (here I mean extensions and dictionaries)
included in the NA-DVD project that are currently not stored on the CMS
system. Would you that I upload those into the shared assets directory
on the server, or keep them in a separate NA directory?

I think one question like this per email is good.

Thanks

//drew

Hi drew, *,

drew schrieb:

I'll be using the [NA-DVD] tag in emails that deal with setting up the
CMS based disc development system for the North-America Community Disc
Project.

Well done..

OK - I really need to jump on this starting today in a serious way.

First question has to do with assets.

There are a number of add-ons (here I mean extensions and
dictionaries) included in the NA-DVD project that are currently not
stored on the CMS system. Would you that I upload those into the
shared assets directory on the server, or keep them in a separate NA
directory?

I'd think everything of reusable stuff for any DVD should be part of the
shared assets rather than be dug in a "private" folder. So I'd prefer
the first option. This avoids uncontrolled duplication of files.

Gruß/regards

<snip>

> There are a number of add-ons (here I mean extensions and
> dictionaries) included in the NA-DVD project that are currently not
> stored on the CMS system. Would you that I upload those into the
> shared assets directory on the server, or keep them in a separate NA
> directory?

I'd think everything of reusable stuff for any DVD should be part of the
shared assets rather than be dug in a "private" folder. So I'd prefer
the first option. This avoids uncontrolled duplication of files.

Alright - I'll start moving things in a few hours - assuming no one
tosses up a reg flag (or flashes a yellow card :slight_smile: will do just that.

//drew

Hi Drew, *,

[...]

I'd think everything of reusable stuff for any DVD should be part of the
shared assets rather than be dug in a "private" folder. So I'd prefer
the first option. This avoids uncontrolled duplication of files.

Alright - I'll start moving things in a few hours - assuming no one
tosses up a reg flag (or flashes a yellow card :slight_smile: will do just that.

Just a note:
Feel free to do the initial upload on the shell/the filesystem, but
when you move/delete files already tracked in assets, please use the
CMS-backend

ciao
Christian

Thanks - I'll be sure to do so.

If I can get the access to the NA account,

AND somehow download the theme files and folders

THEN I could work on editing the NA page files offline and would only need to upload the "text" after the "body" tag. This way all the problems with the alignment and content, that is not part of a shared folder, can be worked on then uploaded to the CMS account.

I do not know where the links to share content will end up or what they would be like, but the big thing I see it the visual content of the pages needed editing to get them the way we want them to look like. The theme info is needed offline, but the links can be different offline from online as long as you do not upload any changes to the files above the "body" tag.

Right now, the NA site on the CMS server shows the 3.3.2 installs, so that will need to be updated to 3.3.3.

Also, as Drew pointed out, there are a lot of included files on our DVD that may not be part of the current shared system. All of those dictionaries that are in our extension listing, and other items are good for sharing. I would like to use the dictionary file I have on my NA testing site, since I included their dates so we can keep track of which one have been updated that do not use a version number in their file names.

Also, offline I have 3 or 4 times as many non-dictionary extensions [.oxt] that are not in our list. Should those files be added to a shared folder for use by others? I also have other templates and such that are not currently in our DVD listings. These might be useful to others.

Hi Tim,

To create your account you just need to go to:
https://libreofficebox.org/forums

Create an account - there is no real forum, this is simply the account
that will be used to give you access.

Thanks

//drew

@Tim, I know you have a lot of extra stuff and that can be looked at
going forward - for now though really need to stick with the stuff that
was reviewed bu the group.

The alignment issues and what-not with the html files we will work
through, but it really is an issue (not huge but is real) in moving the
static html pages to the SilverStripe system with has a few quirks,
(that isn't a prerogative just a comment) so this off-line isn't quite
that simple. If you really want to do off-line work then I'd recommend
setting up your own instance of silverstripe, it is (for out of the box
set up) a snap. But we can talk about that off-line if you like.

Thanks,

//drew

Hi *,

THEN I could work on editing the NA page files offline and would only need
to upload the "text" after the "body" tag.

Well - working offline doesn't really work. (Well, you can of course
prepare your text locally and then cut and paste it into the backend,
but that's not something I'd call offline-editing).

This way all the problems with
the alignment and content, that is not part of a shared folder, can be
worked on then uploaded to the CMS account.

Not sure what problem with alignment and content you mean, I didn't
follow the complete discussion - if you need technical assistance with
using silverstripe, please send your question to the
website@global.libreoffice.org mailinglist.

I do not know where the links to share content will end up or what they
would be like, but the big thing I see it the visual content of the pages
needed editing to get them the way we want them to look like.  The theme
info is needed offline, but the links can be different offline from online
as long as you do not upload any changes to the files above the "body" tag.

You can use one of the existing dvds as templates. - there the content
is exported, and the theme is of course included as well.

For the theme it is possible to setup a repository on
https://github.com/tdf/ - similar to how it is done for the theme for
the libreoffice.org site.

But of course someone can just zip the theme and provide it as
download - I don't want to make things more complicated for you :slight_smile:

ciao
Christian