common effort: creating replacement for Oracle Report Builder

Hi all,

Starting from a thread on the developer's list[2] I decided to come here
trying to bring together users and experts.

[2]
http://www.mail-archive.com/libreoffice@lists.freedesktop.org/msg10456.html

I examined Oracle Report Builder (was Sun Report Builder those days)
while realizing my longterm project[1]. I stopped even thinking of it's
use after some minutes, because I noticed it beeing horrible crap,
unusable for my purposes. If the code is like it's appearance for use,
then we should think of sheduling it's death for LibO4.0 creating a
replacement more flexible, suitable and finally: generating fun while
using :o)).

I examined the capabilities of writer and found many of the requirements
for report generation already present there.

So I'd propose to have a look by all interested on this topic, whether
it is feasible to create a report generating tool based on writer (or
calc?) extention(s) or template(s). If some capabilities are missing, we
could come back to the developers with a feature request in bugzilla to
offer one more area for development crativity going along with clear
specifications. :o))

===============
[1] Longterm Project:
- Print all my adress data in 3 columns per page,
- only printing values not empty,
- printing from first to last record filling pages completely to save
  paper sheets putting in my bag.

Realizing this was some mouse clicks in Lotus Approach, which I stopped
using 2002 while migrating my whole workspace to linux continueing with
OOo. Since then I'm without recent printed adress book for outside use.
:o))

Anyone interested in this task.

Gruß/regards