On 03/30/2011 08:37 AM, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
Hi Jeff, *

Jeff Chimene wrote:
[...]  I think
       we'll want to remove the header text: "The Document Foundation"
       and replace it with: "North American Community DVD - English
       version" That text is currently on the right side of the screen.
On the main website the header area is only accessible for the site admins.

The header text/name for the current LibreOffice-NA.US/English/ DVD is not part of the CSS header format. It is just between where the CSS header ends and the Menu bar begins. That was the easiest way for me to do that.
Probably one of the admins on the DVD site (are there dedicated admins
for the different sub-sites?) has to step in here.

       It seems this is necessary as the DVD is not from TDF.
I would disagree, but this question needs clarification by the SC:

Your DVD is not a distribution created by a single community member
or a small group of individuals. It is the work of an officially approved
LibreOffice team, trying to cooperate with the other dedicated teams
in the best possible way, sharing as much resources as possible.
This impression is enforced by using the same infrastructure.

Thus it's creation is part of the community's work and therefore under
the scope and guidance by The Document Foundation.

Having a DVD that is officially approved by TDF and the SC was the next phase of the original DVD project.

The only problem I had with the DVD was how many files there were for each included file/link. It seemed much harder to keep updated than the structure I used. Also, the DVD was setup so an IT person could bypass the HTML files and use the DVD folder structure to find the files he/she needed to use. The more sub-folders he/she needs to go through to get the files, the "harder" the DVD is to use as a Data DVD. I know many IT people that use package DVDs that way.

If all the install files and much of the other content is updated by some other group of people and it used by all of the different sub-projects, then that would be good no matter how complex the file/folder structure is. For the LibreOffice-NA.US DVD project, I was the one who had to keep all the install files up-to-date, so I wanted it to be as easy as possible and be done as quickly as possible. The current DVD, it takes about ten minutes to edit the HTML files once the 3.3.2 files were downloaded into the proper install folders.

But this is just my personal position - I know that there might be
different opinions on this point. If you want to have this question
decided, please send a request to the steering committee's mailing list.

Best regards

Bernhard

How to do this?
    2. I see the following language packs in the /installer/ folder: de,
       es, fr, it. We're also including these locales/languages: en-GB,
       en-US, he, pt-BR, pt.
       What's the recommended way to link to these language packs?

I/we have the localized language files so the DVD would be useful for more than one group. "PT" was added when "pt-BR" was not included for the Windows version in 3.3.0 and 3.3.1. Now there is the Brazilian version of that file, so "PT" is no longer needed.

"HE" was added since some people I know complained that there was no single package that they had access to that could use both Hebrew and then use English. They are a group, like the Hispanic communities in the south western area of the USA, that seems to be overlooked by software package developers. So those communities hopefully will be happy with our DVD project when it is done.

Thank-you, Erich

Cheers,
jec