2011/3/30 Jeff Chimene <jchimene@gmail.com>

Hi Paulo:

Pretty good for a quick hack!

I can suggest a few changes:

  1. Use grep -i instead of grep -o
   DIST=$(grep -i fedora <<< "$ID1")
  2. I'd make is to force $DIST to lowercase and check against "mandriva"
  or "debian".
  DIST=`echo $DIST | tr A-Z a-z`
  That way, you'll drop a few extraneous tests.
  3. Ensure the script is run as root

http://serverfault.com/questions/37829/bash-scripting-require-script-to-be-run-as-root-or-with-sudo

Many thanks for your help, Jeff. I'm gonna make the changes and test it
asap.

Another sugestion I've just received is: Instead of making an entire DVD ISO
with many packages users won't need, and make users donwload it (at least
1.8GB, in our case, 4 GB in north-america's DVD, I guess), a friend has
asked me to make just an script. That script could detect the same things,
download the necessary packages (about 250MB, or less) and install them
and/or built a DVD specific for that user.

What do you think?

Gonna keep you all aware.

Cheers,
jec